Issue with Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illuminous, Nov 1, 2007.

1. illuminous macrumors member

Maybe I am just doing something wrong but I am having an issue with Time Machine. Here is what I do.

1. I delete a file on my Macintosh HD (just to test time machine)
    2. I came back a couple hours later and in the finder window typed the name of the file. Time machine found the file on a previous backup.
    3. I click on the file
    4. I click Restore.

At this point Time Machine restores the file not to my HD but to the Time Machine volume, essentially creating a duplicate file. Weird?

If I repeat the process, but this time don't type anything in the search field, and just navigate back through time myself and find the file and restore, it will then restore to my HD.

Anyone know what is going on????

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

When you are searching it could be bringing up the file that is backed up on the time machine drive and not the one thats on your main drive and when you restore it is just copying it on the time machine drive, but even then it should ask you if you want to keep the original.

3. illuminous thread starter macrumors member

Isn't that the point of Time Machine though. I search... it finds the file on previous backup, and then when i click restore it will restore back to my HD