Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akhilleus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
The volume up/down sound effect is no longer making the distinctive popping sound on my 15" 2011 MBP. It doesn't make the sound whatsoever, but when I hook my laptop up to my HDTV via HDMI w/ mini displayport adapter, the popping sound goes off continually over and over. I believe my adapter is broken, so I've ordered a new one, but anyone have an idea why it has stopped making the sound when it's just sitting in my lap, not connected to anything?

akhilleus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Okay so I bought a new HDMI to DP cord and it arrived today. Plugged it in and it's still going off. I'm guessing somethings messed up in my mini DP? Any idea on how to troubleshoot or clean or fix? My applecare is expired, so if there's a fix that doesn't involve going to Apple, I'd love it.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Okay so I bought a new HDMI to DP cord and it arrived today. Plugged it in and it's still going off. I'm guessing somethings messed up in my mini DP? Any idea on how to troubleshoot or clean or fix? My applecare is expired, so if there's a fix that doesn't involve going to Apple, I'd love it.

Are you running Yosemite? There is no more volume up/down 'pop' sound effect. It's totally silent - which I still haven't gotten used to.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Are you running Yosemite? There is no more volume up/down 'pop' sound effect. It's totally silent - which I still haven't gotten used to.

I hadn't noticed it's absence until just now. But after a little bit of investigating, the system just had a default changed. System Preferences -> Sound -> Sound Effects. Underneath the list that allows you to change the notification sounds, there are two check boxes. You'll want to select the second one, then it'll be back to normal. Sort of. It's no longer the pop, but more of a subtle click. Still better than nothing imo.

----------

Sadly akhilleus, I have no idea why you're having that issue. Or even what to suggest to correct it. Sorry

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I hadn't noticed it's absence until just now. But after a little bit of investigating, the system just had a default changed. System Preferences -> Sound -> Sound Effects. Underneath the list that allows you to change the notification sounds, there are two check boxes. You'll want to select the second one, then it'll be back to normal. Sort of. It's no longer the pop, but more of a subtle click. Still better than nothing imo.

----------

Sadly akhilleus, I have no idea why you're having that issue. Or even what to suggest to correct it. Sorry

You can change the click to what are listed to match what you like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 6.10.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 6.10.52 PM.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.