Issues after Snow Leopard and RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jlaverick2, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jlaverick2 macrumors newbie

I am starting to have problems with my once perfect Macbook (13.3" Late 2008).

Several months ago I upgraded my HD to the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid (750gb) with zero issues. The computer ran much quieter and cooler as I had nearly maxxed out the original drive with music and photos. After reading numerous forum posts and articles I learned that I would also be able to upgrade my Macbook to the 8GB RAM. I verified that my computer had the required specs for the upgrade and ordered this RAM:

Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 Laptop Memory Model KVR1066D3SOK2/8GR

Being impatient and wanting to really re-vamp my computer I then ordered a Snow Leopard upgrade as I was running Leopard. I only ran SL for a few days before my RAM sticks came in and only noticed one issue...iTunes would sometimes act a little goofy when synching my phone. Being a new "toy" I would try to wifi sync and it would, at times, freeze up my iTunes.

I then received and installed the new RAM modules. The iTunes seems to be freezing a bit more often with the new RAM installed. I lost sound from my speakers and after reading some posts reset my PRAM. AFter the reset I needed to go into my settings to turn on the internal speakers and now sound is back to normal. Then again, while synching, iTunes locked up. AFter several hard boots I received a gray screen when trying to close a frozen iTunes.

Any advice?

2. jlaverick2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, Angel. I have reset the PRAM and am still experiencing some issues. Could this all be coincidence or is it possible the SL is causing issues? Would it be worth while to upgrade to Mountain Lion?

3. AngelOfSoul macrumors member

Sorry. Should've read your last paragraph.

Well, 1st I would try to reinstall Snow Leopard.
    Plan B if it doesn't work, I would restore it using original Leopard DVD (if any).

4. jlaverick2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the problem was none of the above. I made sure all software/firmware was updated and downloaded Mountain Lion. My Mac continued to freeze up but only when I was synching my phone. After NUMEROUS hard resets I started to notice more of a pattern. It seems that all of these headaches were do to a "bad track" in iTunes. For some reason, one song was the culprit. It plays through iTunes normally but it would cause the freeze during the synch. I deleted the song and everything is running smoothly.

On another note...when I would run the Activity Monitor with Snow Leopard I would only read 7.75gb RAM. After the upgrade to Mountain Lion my Mac recognized all 8gb