Issues backing up via Time Capsule? Try This!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prominence, Mar 23, 2008.

1. prominence macrumors regular

Hey all. I've been having issues backing up with Time Capsule for the past two weeks, today being my final day to figure out the issue or return my time capsule.

The issue was that my iMac would not backup on TC; it would freeze halfway through, and eventually Time Machine just stopped initializing altogether and freeze the whole computer requiring a hard restart.

I went surfing on the apple support forums and found where someone suggested going to System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Uncheck all indexing options, then retry.

I don't know how this effects the backup exactly, but I did that and now my backup is progressing flawlessly; Time Machine started without a hitch, and my iMac is no longer freezing up. It has yet to stop backing up and I have confidence it will work, so if you're having issues backing up, try it!

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

While this won't affect the backup, it will affect spotlight. Is it just the initial backup you were having problems with? Maybe the best option is to uncheck all of those boxes for the first backup, then re-check them for the incremental backups.

In any case, while i've found the backups with time capsule to work flawlessly, if not still a bit slow, i'm not totally thrilled with its network performance...