Issues deleting application...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HolyHealy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. HolyHealy macrumors newbie

Hey guys, Iv'e been a long-time lurker of the forums here but have never had to register until now. I can't find my answer anywhere.

Anyway, I have an application that I would like to trash and get rid of but when I drag it to the trash it says I can't because its in use. I see nothing indicating that it is in use.

Does anyone know how I can check to see if its being used and, if so, how I can close it? Terminal command or otherwise.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could open Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) to see if there is a process running in the background that might not be readily visible. Make sure you select "All Processes" from the drop-down menu at the top.

3. HolyHealy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I had tried that, w/o the "All Processes" part, earlier. I can't determine which of those processes corresponds to the application.

I know I could probably restart and be ok, but I feel like being able to close anything at my discretion is something I should know how to do.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What is the application? Does it come with an uninstaller? Are there uninstallation instructions on the developer's website?

5. HolyHealy thread starter macrumors newbie

The application itself I was able to trash. Its called Graboid. I used it to download a movie for school and now I dont need it. I trashed the app itself. But it also had an "app" called "Graboid DLManager" which I assume was the download manager. But for some reason I cant shake it. I'll check the developers site, good call on that.

6. mpau0516 macrumors newbie

Try to reboot the Mac, and then drag to trash. then option click empty trash.