Issues I have with Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by solg321, Nov 28, 2007.

1. solg321 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I grew up on Macs in the 80s and 90s, and made the switch to PCs around 1996 mainly due to lack of games on the Mac. A few months ago, I got a MacBook, and re-entered the Mac world, and here is what I don't like so far.

- No way to navigate folders/hard drive through the Apple menu, or any other menu. Dock is not sufficient especially since Stacks on the Dock which are terrible.

I have found the above issue can be fixed through the use of 3rd party apps

- Navigating through such hierarchy menus is terrible compared to Windows. In these menus all you can do is click to open. On Windows, you can rearrange items in these menus, sort them, get info, rename them, delete them, drag them to the desktop, etc. None of this right-click functionality exists in Mac menus.

I have not found a 3rd party app to address this

- Windows can only be resized from 1 corner. In MS Windows, you can resize a window by dragging any corner. Kind of annoying especially when you have a window hanging off the screen and you want to resize it from any visible corner.

I have not found a 3rd party app to address this

- Navigating through folders is just plain faster in Windows, and easier to know where I'm at. A web browser style address bar would be nice in Finder. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like Finder

Well that's about all I can think of right now, I'd appreciate it if anyone knows some apps I can try to help with these issues

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Um, why can't you just open finder and right click on that?

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, take 3 deep breaths, and repeat this to yourself
    "OS X is not Windows, I will be understanding of the fact that they do things differently. In this realm, their way is the highway, and although I can try to bend them to my will, they will more than likely win as they are the multi-billion dollar international corporation, and I am just a guy"

For those of us that have to use Windows:
    "Windows is not OS X, I will be understanding of the fact that they do things differently. In this realm, their way is the highway, and although i can try to bend them to my will, they will more than likely win as they are the multi-billion dollar international corporation, and I am just a guy"

All that aside however, I don't know what you mean by 'navigate through with menus'. Do you mind expounding upon that?

As to the hierarchical menu issue... I don't think that you think that 'navigating' is terrible with them, but rather that they do not offer the options that Windows does. Bit of a difference there, and also, something that can be remedied by secondary - clicking on a blank spot within a folder.

Yes, windows can only be dragged from one corner... mostly because a lot of windows on OS X have no borders. And if you are wanting to resize the window in 2 dimensions at once, you will be dragging from a corner anyway... The one place where I find it annoying is that I have to move the window left and then resize right if I want to actually resize left. For the most part though, i just leave my windows in the middle of the screen and then do a Window-Zoom (set to shortcut Shift+Command+Z) which will smart-resize the window for me.

For knowing where you are at
    Either, keep track of it better in your head :)
    Or, go to View - Show Path Bar (if you are in Leopard)
    Or, secondary click on the folder in the title bar of the Finder Window, this will give you a path

Attached Files:

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Are you kidding?

If you want to move a file in windows you have to open a second explore window to the folder you want. copying things over in windows take like 5 times longer.

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Why use a menu when you can use keyboard shortcuts? Windows can't do that :cool: <cmd><down> and <cmd><up> can get you just about anywhere you want to be in Finder. But if that isn't enough try <cmd><shift>G and go wherever you want.

Create a folder? <cmd><shift>N It drives me nuts when I'm using Windows and I can't create a folder without hitting the menu :eek:

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

DUDE!!! I didn't even know that cmd+shift+d did that! Also, did you know that if you have something highlighted and hit cmd+T it will get kicked to your sidebar? Man, I love OS X... it really 'rewards' the experimenter.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Everything that you just said can be done in Mac OS X, you just have to keep on working with the OS and no offense but, Mac OS X isn't Windows, so you can't use the same methods to do things. Trust me, once you learn it it's much much easier than Windows.