Issues installing Leopard & formatting HFS+

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ThirteenXIII, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

I have a spare 750 that was just a storage device for Windows (NTFS) i formatted it to fat32 to transfer files between Windows & OSX.

So no my dilemma is that OSX will not install on this drive.
    I did extended drive testing under both Windows and OSX.
    I can format it to Fat32 all day and night long. I can format it to NTFS all day and night long, transfer files back and forth and stress tested it extensively.

I want this to be my main OSX drive in my spare iMac.
    I put it in and then i got this when initializing it with Disk Utility, using the built in OS one and the original 10.5.2 disks.

I also placed this in my MacPro and the same issue.

the message i get when trying to Install OSX or even formatting it to HFS+:
    [​IMG]

I cant seem to format it to HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaled)

any help, this drive has no issues or bad sectors
    thanks

===

edit/update

I was able to format it into 2-partitions of HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaled)

but i cant have a single partition....hm.

Im wondering under Options in the PARTITION tab do i select GUID Partition?

because if thats the case then i think it might have defaulted to MBR or something and wasnt allowing me to format it...

thanks again!

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

LOL- I just saw when I posted this that I answered the question you asked in your edit before I saw the edit! Here you go with the partition map info:

I suspect that the problem is because of the PC partition table map on the drive at this point. What I would next try is, rather than using the "Erase" tab in Disk Utility that you instead use the "Partition" tab, even though you only want one partition. That will give you the option of reformatting with the correct partition table map type for Macs.

Do these items in the following order to try this out:

• Select the drive in the left hand window of Disk Utility
    • Click the "Partition" tab at the top
    • Change the selection under "Volume Scheme:" from "Current" to "1 partition"
    • Click the "Options" button at the bottom, and select "GUID" in the window that appears- that will change the critical partition map
    • In the "Volume Information" area, give the drive a name as desired and select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" in the "Format:" section
    • Click "Apply" then "OK" and in a few seconds your new drive info should appear in the left column

At that point, the drive should show up as a valid destination for Mac OSX installation if desired and will be formatted as a standard Mac drive.

Hope this takes care of the failed formats.

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, thanks alot.

yeah i was just not paying attention i guess when i was formatting.

i went to the Partitions tab and created 2 partitions and then under options select GUID. it was selected to MBR so i assume that little issue was causing it to gunk up.

thanks again for assistance and your time for the reply.

lesson learned & mental note to self, be patient and dont rush :p