Issues Installing Leopard on G4 Upgrade Pismo

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tayloralmond, Jul 9, 2012.

1. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I've been trying to install Leopard on my Pismo ever since I put a G4 in it, but every time I try to boot after installing I get a kernel panic (cpu 0 caller 0x00373A34). I know for a fact that G4 upgraded Pismos can run Leopard with the use of a Target Disk Mode install or by using LeopardAssist so this has been quite frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help everyone.

2. Imixmuan, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Can you even run Leopard

....with only 8 MB of video RAM? That sounds painful...

It seems like it could be a HD issue, can you boot off another install disc or Disk Warrior and verify the disc is ok? That would be my first step, if you have not already done so. What does is say after the cpu 0 caller error?

3. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought that at first, but I know the disk is good because it runs Tiger very well (it's a SSD). Also, I tried replacing the drive with a standard HDD and that didn't work either. I've also tried doing a FireWire restore from one of my G4 PowerBooks incase my Leopard retail disk was bad. After the error it says that it cannot find drivers for "PowerBook 3,1"...which isn't surprising because the Pismo wasn't ever officially supported, but I've read all over about Leopard running after a G4 upgrade. I'm not planning on using this as a primary OS on here. I just wanted to do it just to see what it runs like.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll run Leopard like my 550Mhz Ti Book does, badly. It isn't very fast and the CPU is nearly always at 100% doing something. This is after I disable lots of things as well.