Issues installing OS X 10.0

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Mar 19, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm running this in parallel to my GigE thread about OS installs, but thought I'd post this problem separately to see if anyone has any ideas.

Whenever I try to run the 10.0.3 install disk, I get the below error during booting. I'm using an original 10.0.3 pressed install disk.

The same error has appeared on two different system configurations:

1. Sawtooth 400mhz w/2gb RAM, Radeon 8500

2. GigE dual 500mhz, 2gb RAM, GEForce 2MX Twin-View. I've run AHT(short test) on this computer, and everything passed. I've also successfully installed OS 9.2.2, Panther, and Leopard(using LeopardAssist) on this computer. It runs fine on Tiger the Tiger install that was done on the Sawtooth.

I've done the standard stuff-PMU reset, PRAM reset, etc. I updated the firmware to the most current version-4.2.8.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be going on here?

Attached Files:

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

3. weckart macrumors 68040

I didn't have problems with any of my Powerbooks that I installed it on and Apple's notes only warn of software modifications that could affect installations of updates. The only other thing to watch for is sufficient RAM, which is not an issue here.

It seems to be hanging before the GUI kicks in so could you try in verbose mode and see what particular bit of hardware is freaking it out?

If the worst comes to the worst, I have a copy of the original 10.0 installer that I could image and uplink to you. That can be updated to 10.0.4 bypassing 10.0.3 if the latter proves buggy in some way.

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Ask lightbulbfun to help you. I believe he has done it on his computers before and might be able to offer you some insight.

5. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

it Looks like window-Server is failing to load I had a Very similar problem when I was Trying to install early versions of OS X on my sawtooth with a ATI Radeon 9200 it. Try installing on your sawtooth with a Rage 128 in it.

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Okay, I grudgingly :) put a Rage 128 in, and the installer is running now.

7. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Good to see its running now :D Just wondering is this on your GigE or the sawtooth?

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's on the GigE. Unfortunately, all may not be well, as the installer hung in the very first stages of installation(installing BSD subsystem). I'm trying again.

9. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I know early versions of OS X can be quite unstable (esp 10.0) if it keeps crashing try removing all but 1 ram stick and try again...

10. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think I have a stick of OEM Apple PC-100 128mb that I pulled out of a B&W-since I seem to be getting nowhere with it at the moment, I'll put that in the system and try installing again.

11. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Installing now with one stick of OEM Aplpe 128mb PC-100...we'll see what happens.

12. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Sucess, although I did have a few "false starts" even with the single stick of RAM installed.

I'm going to try my Quicksilver restore disks to install 10.1. I know that the OS 9 disk in that pack will install on most pre-Quicksilver G4s(I've used it on my Sawtooth, DA, GigE, and Cube), so I'm hoping that the restore disks will work also.

13. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Good to see it finished installing :D Just wondering if ur GigE is dual processor does 10.0 Public beta Etc See both CPUs?

14. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It is DP. I haven't installed Public Beta yet, so can't say either way.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

Just by coincidence, I tried out Public Beta this morning on a Wallstreet I hadn't done anything with. While it would install to any volume within the first 8GB, it would not boot from any but the first volume on the HDD. Installed anywhere else it booted to a torn folder icon.

The other thing I noticed was that it does not play nicely with any other OSX installation. This might be the Wallstreet's being all indignant and high maintenance with regard to neighbours but was that your experience on a desktop?

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The 8GB bug is a feature of the IDE controller. The affected machines never shipped with an IDE drive over 8GB so it was never an issue when new.

17. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

With PB-10.5 installed, PB still seems to work fine on my GigE.

18. weckart macrumors 68040

Thanks. Seems to be Wallstreet's crippled IDE bus, then. Everything was hunky dory on my Pismo, too, except you couldn't install OSX Server 1.x and I never tried PB on it.

I also tried OSX DP1 this morning. Like Mac OSX Server 1.x it uses Mac OSX Booter and UFS so was also not a good neighbour with anything but OS9.

19. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I should try this on my Wallstreet, I'd love to try old versions of OS X!