Issues on 13" pro refurb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JBazz, Feb 6, 2010.

1. JBazz macrumors 6502

I sold my 13" unibody to upgrade to a 13" pro for the upgraded battery. I bought the pro refurbished. I have had nothing but issues out of it since I first got it. I have had it into the Apple store no less than 6 times and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong.

My video is messed up. It freezes and then when it unfreezes, it starts where it would be if it hadnt froze.

I am also getting the spinning color wheel all the time.

And my games that are graphic intensive crash on me all the time.

This machine has serious issues, no idea why they cant figure it out. My prior macbook unibody worked flawlessly.

I am tired of dealing with Apple and want a new machine. Has anyone ever had them switch your laptop out when it had issues they cant seem to fix or identify?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Back up your Macbook Pro and do a fresh install of Snow Leopard via the recovery disks.

3. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

For documented issues, yes. Generally the rule is three major repairs. But I've never heard of a replacement for an undocumented issue. I'm assuming the issues are not reproducable, and repair has not been attempted?

5. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, they claim the hardware tests all pass. Personally, I am sick of Apple. I went and stood in line behind 3 dozen iPod/iPhone people all to get my name called and there is zero counter space so I couldnt even attempt to try and show the "genius" anything.

This laptop has issues. It has HAD issues since I got it and probably whoever had it before me had issues with it also. And to think, I paid 200% as much as a Sony. And $100 for procare all to stand in line behind a bunch of people who cant figure out how to load music on their $150 iPod.

Gotta love Apple.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Graphic Intensive? Games?

Gotta remember this is a low power laptop, with an intergrated GPU class chip, not a gaming machine. You're probably just pushing the poor thing too hard.

7. dnkbro macrumors regular

Try running some benchmarks and comparing them with averages. If there is an issue it will surely show up.

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Typically, the MacBook Pro 13" shouldn't have any problem with video playback.

Tell us which games it has trouble running, and we should be able to help you more.

Also, you could always try calling Apple up, and telling them that you don't have an Apple Store nearby. They'll make you send it in, which usually ends up with them replacing something even if they don't find any reproducible problems.

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The video issue and the spinning wheel seems to be the EFI HDD issue, just show it to them and they will prolly recognize it.

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I had a mbp 13" 2.53 ghz 4 gb ram refurb that had the exact problems you describe. I chose to call them on the phone rather than go to an apple store. Applecare talked me through a series of steps that included reinstalling the OS a couple of different ways, after which they decided it had to be hardware. I then called customer relations at 1-800-767-2775, explained that I had a broken refurb and that I'd like a replacement as the refurb process should have fixed whatever was wrong with the computer in the first place and I don't want to wait around for them to eventually track down whatever tiny hidden f***up is causing these problems on a weeks old machine. They sent me a new in box mbp of the same specs as the refurb (they gave me the chance to pay for any upgrades I might have wanted) and it works as it should.

11. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I am still having issues with this laptop. Just spent 55 minutes on the phone (from my 300 monthly allowed minutes on my cell) going over everything that has already been gone over. I am sending it in when they send me a box. 7-9 business days is what they claim I will be without my laptop.

I am real sick of Apple.

12. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, and I have begun video taping all the issues when they appear on my screen. I intend to take Apple to small claims court for selling me a lemon and claiming it is caviar.