Issues on iOS 4.2.1 with iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snatch11, Nov 24, 2010.

1. snatch11 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS4.2.1 and some of the features that are supposed to be there are not?
    I haven't got the facetime option from within a text message, and when I play a Youtube video i dont have airplay. When I tap the screen during video play, I get the usual controls (play pause etc etc) and the envelope icon for emailing, but no airplay. Anyone else got this trouble or have I done something wrong?

Thanks

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Do you have Facetime enabled and do you have an Apple TV?

3. snatch11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have facetime on, but no apple tv. Do i need to have an Apple tv to even see the airplay icon?

4. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

You will need either an Apple TV or wifi speakers to even see the icon, it is triggered when your phone "sees" either of these.

5. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

The FaceTime option will only show up in a text if you have previously done a successful FaceTime with that contact.

6. SnowDX macrumors 6502

You actually turned it on after the update? Because I had it on prior to the update and after the update it had been turned off. Once I turned it on again, I had the FaceTime button at the top of a text convo.

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Hmmm...trying to find that option. Possible to post a screen shot of that?

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I definitely do NOT have that icon visible with people with whom I've had FaceTime conversations. And yes, FaceTime IS turned on.:(

9. SnowDX macrumors 6502

I have the FaceTime button in every text conversation even if I have never FaceTimed with the person.

10. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Could you post a screen shot of that? I don't have that icon or FaceTime option available and am trying to figure out what it is that I am looking for.
    Thanks!

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

12. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Yup, just like this. (I had to copy/paste PP's link to see it).

13. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Thank you for posting the screen shot. I wonder whether that is carrier specific. I have nothing like that and never have using AT&T in the US.:confused:

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It's not...well it is but AT&T is definitely a supported carrier. I would try either a reset all settings at this point or a clean restore. Also are you using an iPhone 4?

15. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Yes, I m on an iPhone 4. I understand that AT&T is a supported carrier. What I meant was that perhaps this is a feature that is specific to certain supported carriers and not one that other supported carriers offer.
    I'll try resetting and see what happens. Thanks for the assistance.

16. Jestered macrumors 6502

I can also say that I do not have the FaceTime option in texts of people that I have def done FaceTime with. If I go to that same persons contact in Address Book I do have the option to initiate a FaceTime chat. I think it works differently for different carriers. Either way, check and see if FaceTime shows up when looking at a contact in Address Book. If it's there, then FaceTime is enabled and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe you have to FaceTime chat with that person after the update for it to show up in texts again.

17. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I think that's a good summary of the situation with AT&T in the US. I have the same features that you describe.
    And I don't have the FaceTime option in texts even with people I've had FaceTime conversations with since the update. Not a big deal, but interesting to see how different carriers implement some of the features.

18. SnowDX macrumors 6502

This web site shows the same screenshot with AT&T as the carrier http://www.9to5mac.com/26892/ios-4-...etime-and-youtube-features-other-enhancements (I'm in Canada with Telus and I have the button too as I said earlier)

19. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Ok, I FINALLY figured it out! I DO, in fact, have the FaceTime button available, but it is at the beginning of the text thread with people. The problem is that I have a lengthy thread of texts that I've kept on my phone. If I scroll up to the beginning of the text thread, the FaceTime button is there!
    Thanks for all who helped me figure this one out!:)

20. SnowDX macrumors 6502

:D Glad you got it figured out.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Oh that's where it is! Thanks.

22. shandyman Suspended

you don't have to scroll manually all the way up either, just press at the top of the screen it automatically goes to the top :)

23. shandyman Suspended

you don't have to scroll manually all the way up either, just press at the top of the screen it automatically goes to the top :)

24. shandyman Suspended