Issues on the rMBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atMac, Feb 16, 2013.

1. atMac macrumors 6502

I'm planning to upgrade form my 13in Air to a 13in rMBP today due to 4GB of RAM not being enough for my needs anymore. Are there any issues I should be aware of/look for?

I'm looking at the 2.5GHz i5, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Well, that version is now a 2.6GHz i5. :)

Some people have complained about image retention, but I have one of the October build LGs (apparently the most prone to the issue) and haven't noticed it. Beyond that, it's pretty typical in terms of reliability. 256GB versions have Samsung or Sandisk SSDs that perform better than the Toshiba drives used in the 128GB versions, particularly with FileVault 2 enabled.

Overall the 13" rMBP is pretty solid. I had a MacBook Air previously and switched to the rMBP in December. I like the screen a lot. As much as I liked the MacBook Air (I had them since the first model in early 2008), until it gets a Retina Display I'm sticking with the rMBP.

Be aware that while the 13" rMBP is thicker and heavier than the 13" MBA, it actually has a slightly smaller footprint. If you have a neoprene sleeve or case for the MBA, it may work for the rMBP but it won't be form fitting. There are a handful of accessories specifically for the rMBP but they aren't very common. Hopefully they will become more common as sales (hopefully) pick up as a result of the price drops.

I think you'll notice the differences right away. The 2.6GHz i5 is slightly faster than the 2.0GHz i7 that is offered on the high-end 2012 Air, so it will be about 25% faster than the CPU in your 2011. The SSD is also SATA III, and is noticeably quicker at loading applications and transferring large blocks of files.

I'd recommend picking up a $29 Thunderbolt cable. That way you can put the 2011 into Target Disk Mode and run Migration Assistant to move everything over to your new Mac. You may be done in about 15 minutes.

3. atMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to be buying from Microcenter since they have a small sale right now so I believe it will probably be the 2.5GHz. Unless I get lucky.

4. atMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Turns out Microcenter had a sale, I got the 2.5GHz 8GB 256 for $1,489.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Nice, considering that it was $1999 from Apple a week ago (and the best reseller price before then was $1799). That's the same model I have. Good luck with the new machine.

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

On the new rMBP apple did some internal changes other than a spec bump. Supposably it was to fix some issues.

7. atMac thread starter macrumors 6502

The post I found what they were mostly on the 15in.

----------

Thanks!