Issues restoring 4s from 3G backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Subirex11, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Subirex11 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I been having a bit of a nightmare on this and am hoping you guys can help.

I originally set up my 4s as a new phone to play around with it for a few. Once everything looked good, I wanted to back everything up from my 3g to the 4s. I must have made a mistake somewhere along the line and am wondering if I am the only one with this problem.

When restoring from a 3g backup, the 4s seems to go through everything it needs to including app syncing, but on it's final restart it gets stuck in a loop.

Apple sign, flash of the restore completed screen, and then the little restart circle, then over and over. It never stops until I restore the 4s back to the factory settings.

Could it be because the 3G is ios 4.2.1 and the 4S is ios 5?

The apps are fine, I just want the notes, calendar, and contacts from the 3G.

2. Subirex11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, looks like that's my problem now that my buddy brought up the os differences, the 3G can't be updated to ios 5, so I am trying to restore the 4s, an iOS 5 phone, from a iOS 4.2.1 backup.

With that said, is the only other option for syncing contacts Outlook, Google, or Yahoo? My yahoo contacts undertaking didn't go too well but I may try again.

Will any of these contact itermediaries keep multiple numbers like I have for certain contacts?

3. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I was able to set up my new iPhone 4S using a restore from my 3G. I had no problems at all. Perhaps the problem happened because you set it up as a new phone initially? I set up my 4S as a restore right from the start.

4. Subirex11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe, but even when I restore the 4s to factory settings, and try to restore from the 3G again, it gets me that loop. Such a bummer.

Did all of your contacts stick when you restored from the 3G?

5. Dreamre macrumors newbie

Bump!

Did you find a solution?

I have the EXACT issue and it's so frustrating...

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Is 4.2.1 the latest 3G firmware? If not, it may not be compatible with iOS5. The latest iOS4 build should restore fine.