Issues running Mac software from "unidentified developers'

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dylan11, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dylan11 macrumors newbie

Dylan11

Ever since installing Maverick's, I keep getting error messages that software "can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." Does anyone know how to bypass or override these errors to sucessfully run software from small companies?

2. simsaladimbamba

Looked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow apps downloaded from: yet?

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Right click and select "Open". You will be asked once to approve, then everything will run fine. Or turn off the warning mechanism as simsaladimbamba suggests.

4. Dylan11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dylan11

Thanks, no that did it.

That IS the reason why I needed freeware 3rd party software...to beef up my security.

Plan on making my Mac as bulletproof as I can get it.

There are some freeware products to browse the net anonymously, plus I will block all incoming connections in Security control panel. And I already run a router.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In reality, if you are downloading "free software" from unsigned sources, you have a higher chance to get malware.

6. Dylan11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dylan11

Very true, good point. I am even skeptical of some commercial programs re: the integrity of their product...as some use bait and switch tactics to make people feel dependent on their products.

I already got burned by "free" Ad Block extension for Safari that ironically planted a permanent pop-up ad every time I went to a web commerce site. Ended up installing a new hard drive any way to start over from scratch.

7. Dylan11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dylan11

Thanks for that link! That's exactly what I need. We won't be immune to commercial websites getting hacked but we can at least keep our Mac's protected.
    If only every website accepted PayPal...but then again I wouldn't be surprised if PayPal itself has been hacked.