Issues since HD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kleinerp, May 13, 2008.

1. kleinerp macrumors newbie

I bought a refurb Macbook (2.16 C2D, 2GB RAM) in January and have had no problems with it. It had a 120Gb HD until the weekend when I replaced it with a 250GB Western Digital drive (bought in April). I used Super Duper to make a bootable clone of the 120Gb drive onto the new 250Gb drive.

After inserting the new drive into the Macbook it booted no problem. However since then I have had the following issue happen to me 5 times over the last 3 days. After using the Macbook I just close the lid and it goes to sleep. Going back to the machine and opening the lid it appears to wake up no problem. If I then try to do anything I get the spinning beach ball.

After about 5 minutes with no response I power the machine down and restart - only to get the flashing question mark at boot up. The only way I have been able to boot successfully is to remove the hard drive, reinsert it, and then restart. However I don't want to keep on having to do that.

Is my new hard drive faulty? About to fail? Or is it a problem with the Macbook itself?

Any help gratefully received.

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

How did you format the drive before the cloning?

Anywaay you should check the drive by starting up with the disc that came with your mac and run Disk utilities to verify it.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Hi - did you format the hard disk with 1 GUID partition (250GB) first?

If you go into disc utility, click on your hard drive and you should see the partition details in the bottom right corner.

What you have is similar to what can happen if the drive is FAT32 formatted with a Superduper cloned partition put on top of that.

The other way to check is system preferences > start-up disk and check that your internal hard disk is listed (I suspect it won't be).

4. kleinerp thread starter macrumors newbie

When I can boot from the drive Disk Utility can verify the drive and the Partition Map Scheme is GUID Partition Table.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

ok that bit is ok then...but does your new drive show up in start-up disk ?

6. kleinerp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes....it shows up in Startup Disk. It really is puzzling.....when I can boot from the drive everything appears fine. But then after a period of inactivity, waking the computer from sleep it cannot see the HD

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

When you shut the lid and the MacBook goes to sleep it copies the RAM contents to the HD... when you open the lid it writes it back again - this bit appears not to be happening - hence the beach ball. Can you double check the very highest level of the internal (not the partition) - the one that says WD240GB and disc utility says that it is GUID ?

But why is it not doing it ?
    I would suggest erasing the disc, formatting 1 GUID partition and then copying back the superduper backup....

It might be the hard drive but I doubt it....

8. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman