Issues syncing my new iPhone with Gmail.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dubis07, Dec 21, 2007.

1. dubis07 macrumors member

I have my gmail account setup as my email service on my iphone but it doesn't seem to keep itself update with my gmail inbox. Although my inbox will only have 4 or 5 messages, my iPhone will say I have 23 loaded of 373 or some odd number like that. I guess it could be going through my archived files but I have over 5,000 archived emails so I don't know why it would just pick 373.

My question is this: can I set it up so my iPhone will only update messages in my inbox and so that anything I delete from my iPhone will also be deleted from my gmail account? I tend to just jump on safari on iPhone right now rather than use its mail feature because gmail has a very iphone friendly site rigged up but I would like the convenience of not having to keep deleting these messages 1 at a time on the iphone when I can do it so quickly on gmail.

Sorry I rambled on...any help?

2. outz macrumors 6502

Do you have it setup as imap or pop3? - try imap.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Gmail pop has the problems you describe. Gmail IMAP does not.

4. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Yeah, IMAP works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ22euWXYog

5. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

After I properly set up my gmail account to use IMAP, I was still having the same issue you describe.

I went in the Mail settings and discovered that the original Gmail account info that iPhone had imported was still there. I deleted it, leaving only the IMAP one, and it works perfectly now.