Issues to look out for on the new Macbook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MB98XJ, Jul 7, 2009.

1. MB98XJ macrumors member

MB98XJ

I'm buying my MacBook Pro during tax free weekend and was hoping you guys would help me compile a list of issues and problems that could be seen when exploring my new MacBook Pro. I figured this would be easier than searching through each individual thread.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My advice, which probably isn't popular, is buy it and enjoy it

If there are any significant issues, they will come to light
    But if you search for things, you will likely find *something*

There have been a lot of happy users here who didn't realize they had an issue till they read about it here, and then all of a sudden they were unhappy

Dead pixels
    Loose hinges
    Not closing flush

These are the popular problems

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

First off, be sure to make a personal shopping appointment! Apple Stores get very busy on those days.

To be honest, there aren't as many widespread defects as there were on the 13" uMB. I don't think anyone has reported slanted keys and the battery cover doesn't exist now :rolleyes: There was a little chip on one of my keys, but I got an awesome screen and there's no way I'm exchanging it. Speaking of which, make sure you're happy with your screen (dead pixels, color, etc).

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

What's the point? Why don't you just enjoy your computer and if YOU notice a problem come here and search/ask about it. Don't buy something then research all known issues and try to find them on your new item because that will taint the experience of getting something new.

5. Jottle macrumors 6502

I just want to clarify one of the very important points that MacDawg made. The "loose hinges" issue on the 15'' model is not a defect. It's part of the design of the new hinges on these models. People do complain that it's too loose, but go into any apple store to play with the display models, and one will see that every 15'' has this "looser" hinge. I would check it out to make sure you're ok with it first. The 13'' and 17'' do not seem to work the same way for some reason.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just saying. ;)

They must have made a new special hinge for the 15" MBP that offers less resistance. Yes yes, it's all intentional.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree; just ask a lot of questions in the Apple store before you buy, then buy and enjoy using it. If any problems come to light, you are covered by Apple's warranty.

Cheers and good luck

8. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Exactly. Before buying my 13" MacBook Pro, I was going to check around to see what common problems users were reporting, but I decided against it.

When it comes to computers, I have found that ignorance = bliss. I have found the most enjoyment out of my new computer by not examining every small detail on the computer to find problems, but rather ignoring them and just enjoying the product.

Of course I looked around at first just to make sure there were no dead pixels, but other than that I have not purposely checked for any other issues. I am enjoying my product much more than I enjoyed my first Mac that I bought (in which I obsessively looked around for problems, worried about heat or noise, etc).

If there happens to be anything catastrophically wrong with the computer once you've bought it, AppleCare would most likely take care of it for you.

Don't worry about the issues, just enjoy the product. You'll be much happier that way.

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I agree with most all of the above. Don't get obsessed. It is just a commercial, regardless of what the advertising tells you.

I understand some of it is human nature. Some guys take a new camera and start pixel-peeping, and complain about noise in the shows of an image at pixel 2,923:1,857. Meanwhile, there is NO media that will ever show the "defect".

Make sure you like the laptop, then if you purchase it, make sure there is not something clearly busted. Then USE it.

10. cababah macrumors 68000

I agree, you can't truly enjoy something you are constantly worrying and obsessing about.

11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Good to know that no defects has occurred since the July 12th, 2007. :)

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hum, apparently that site has seen better days. Yep, I guess the new ones are perfect.

Also, I guess it's been a while since I read that site :p

13. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Part of the design, or is the huge chunk of glass screen just to heavy to be held by regular screws, so it appears that it's loose because it closes more easily? :rolleyes:

14. Jottle macrumors 6502

Either way, if they all do it, it ain't no defect ;)

15. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I can report crooked keys on the 13" MBP. The Rewind/Play/Fast Forward buttons were all crooked on mine. But that's not why I returned it. I returned mine because of the horrendous screen. Blues looking purple, yellow whites, etc.