Issues transfering backup to new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmw253, Apr 27, 2012.

1. jmw253 macrumors newbie

My old macbook pro crashed on me, but I was able to get a copy of my hard disk saved to an external hard drive.

I purchased a new macbook pro and and during setup under how to transfer your information I choose "From a Time Machine back up or other disk". Once it was finished there were a lot of programs that didn't work, some that would quit on me when opening. I also made lots of changes in the dock and deleting applications, changing background, updating software, etc trying to get it back in working condition.

After spending a full day getting my computer back how I needed it, I restarted my computer and it looked like it did right after the transfer happened. So once again I spend the time to make all the adjustments and the next day when I started my computer, it did it again... none of my changes were saved and I am back to where I was after the transfer.

Does anyone know what I have done wrong? Should I wipe everything on the system and try to get my old computer information on this new computer using a different method.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you for your time.

Peace & Love,
    JMW

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How old are we talking? Lion has dropped support for PPC applications, so those wont work. Reinstalling isn't a bad idea, and if you have the TM backup anyway you might want to try a fresh install and go from there.

3. jmw253 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for responding. My old Macbook was not running the same operating system as my new one. The technical side of a MAC is not anything I am very familiar with working on. I don't know what system my old computer was running and since it is not working anymore I can't look and see. I do know that I could not move my MobileMe account over to iCloud, because my operating system was not new enough.

So you think the operating systems being different are the problems?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That sounds like a lot of it, the jump from Snow Leopard to Lion is a lot easier than the switch from, say, Tiger to Lion since there's been two OS iterations since then. I'd browse through your TM backup and try and get rid of as many programs as you can that you don't use and then look for ion updates for the remainder. I'd suggest a fresh install and then move things over piece by piece so you can have an idea where the problems are coming from.

5. jmw253 thread starter macrumors newbie

One last question. How do I uninstall what I put on my new Macbook, so that is is back to how it came out of the box?

Thank you for your time! I greatly appreciate your help.