issues unlocking with Apple Watch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevinf1990, Oct 18, 2017.

1. kevinf1990 macrumors member

I recently got an Apple Watch series 3. I also have a MacBook Pro 2014 running High Sierra. I am having issues unlocking the MacBook with my watch many times. I know I have setup everything correctly because it does work about 50% of the time.

Is there a distance the watch has to be within the laptop? I am wearing the watch and usually my hands are on the keyboard so the watch is not far. Does the watch screen need to be on? Even when it works, it would've been faster if I typed the password manually. Anyone having similar issues?

2. ImBuz macrumors 6502

ImBuz

Hmmm don't know--mine works every time--unless the PC has had a restart or been turned off--then it always needs a PW
    just waking from sleep, always works

3. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

yeah I know you can't unlock with the watch from a fresh boot but I am trying to unlock it from sleep as well.

4. ImBuz macrumors 6502

ImBuz

you must "alert" your Macbook that you are near, by taping the mouse or a key.

5. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

Yes my macbook will attempt to unlock by saying "unlocking with apple watch" (or something similar) and then time out and show password field.