Issues w/ 2011 MBP and Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duffer6, Oct 1, 2011.

1. duffer6, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

duffer6 macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having the below issues as well:

I am using a 2011 MBP and New Thunderbolt Display. I am running Bose Companion 3 series 2 speakers directly into the headphone jack of my MBP. When using FaceTime and the TBD FaceTime camera along with the Bose speakers I get audio distortion about 3 to 5 minutes into the FaceTime conversation. My audio sounds fine to the person whom I am chatting with and the video stays fine as well on both ends but their audio sounds distorted like they are speaking like a robot. If I unplug the Bose speakers from the Headphone jack on the MBP and replug the Bose speakers into the Headphone jack once again immediately the audio returns to normal. The audio will once again become distorted in about 3 to 5 minutes.

I have tested FaceTime just using the TBD's speakers and the TBD's FaceTime camera and the audio sounds fine throughout the entire call.

I also tested the MBP without it being connected to the TBD and with and without the external speakers attached and the audio was fine through out the FaceTime call.

So the only time I have an audio issue is when the MBP is attached to the TBD and my external bose speakers and attempt a extended FaceTime chat.

Could it be there is some sort of audio conflict between the TBD and the external Bose speakers through the headphone jack that is causing the audio distortion 3 to 5 minutes into the FaceTime call???

2. Jeffrey Fulton macrumors newbie

Exact same issue

I am also experiencing the EXACT same issue but with a 2011 13" Macbook Air & ThunderBolt Display.

Curiously enough, the distorted audio seems limited to FaceTime calls through the 3.5mm headphone jack while connected to the TBD. There is no distortion while listening to music, watching movies, or even talking on Skype calls. Weird?

Here is a copy of the bug report I've submitted to Apple. I encourage anyone else experiencing this problem to do the same at www.apple.com/feedback/

"I am using a 2011 13" Macbook Air with a Thunderbolt Display. Approximately 3 to 5 minutes into a FaceTime call, I experience increasingly distorted audio through my headphones connected to the headphone jack. The caller on the other end is unaware of the distortion. It grows until I can barely make out what the other person is saying. If I unplug and re-plug the headphones, the distortion goes away, only to return in 3 to 5 minutes.

I only experience this when the Thunderbolt Display is connected AND I'm talking through FaceTime with headphones plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack. It does not occur when listening to music, watching movies, or during Skype calls. Only FaceTime."

3. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

look at my thread on the apple support group discussion pages under Thunderbolt display. You will see I have a case number there. Your best bet would be to call your issue into Apple reference the case number and log your issue. The feedback form is only a one way form of communication. Good luck.