issues with 2008 iMac - can Apple upgrade me to new model?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ataylor, Oct 22, 2009.

1. ataylor macrumors member

This is similar to a thread I posted a day or two ago, but different enough that I thought I'd repost it.

I've been having overheating and screen burn issues with my 2008 24" iMac (purchased just over a year ago, also purchased 3-year Apple Care warranty).

I first started noticing the screen burn issues a few months ago and took my computer to an authorized Apple repair center near me (3rd party Mac seller) where they replaced the LCD. A month or so later I noticed the problems coming back and since I've been using the computer more for freelance design, it has gotten more severe.

So I think it's time to go back and see what needs to be changed as replacing the LCD didn't seem to affect things much. I'm thinking that I should push for them to replace my iMac with the newer model as it (a) has the LED screen that should hold up better than the LCD, and (b) since the new iMac supposedly runs cooler since they've separated the CPU and GPU.

What are my chances of them replacing my iMac with the new model, and should I go back to the 3rd party authorized repair center that's five minutes away, or do I make the hour drive to the Apple Store? Where am I most likely to get what I want?

Thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. omeletpants macrumors regular

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Go to an apple store, i really dont know what they can do for you, maybe call applecare first?

5. skarocks47 macrumors member

I really dont think they will upgrade you to a new model. They only rarely do that when either the model is very old and they dont produce anymore or when there is a know defect with the model. They will probally replace they whole thing if this is a consistant problem.

But if i were a betting man you would have the best chance for anything new by going into an apple store.