Issues with 27" Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smithrh, Jun 15, 2015.

1. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

My 27" display is flickering/distorting both intermittently and periodically.

That is, it flickers for a while (minutes or more) then for days the problem disappears.

When this problem occurs, I also see Console entries like the following:

6/15/15 11:31:16.000 AM kernel[0]: IOThunderboltSwitch<0xffffff804b8b7000>(0x0)::listenerCallback - Thunderbolt HPD packet for route = 0x0 port = 2 unplug = 0

I Googled, didn't really see much relevant to my situation.

Anyone with similar experiences?

2. iphoneuserinyyz macrumors member

Yes! This just started happening to me 2-3 days ago! I am not at home right now, so I can't check the corresponding console entries, but the behavior you describe is exactly what I am seeing. It is driving me nuts. Of course, the display is out of warranty now....

3. iphoneuserinyyz macrumors member

Just checked - I see the exact same message in the console when the problem occurs.

4. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

Interesting, thanks. I'm wondering if it's actually software related.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Which software? I am on 10.10.4 beta and the wife is on 10.10.3 with no problems.

6. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

10.10.3, but I meant "software" in a generic way. E.g., it feels like a sw issue, and I really couldn't tell you why, just a feeling from troubleshooting dozens of issues over the years.

7. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

There's definitely something up with these. Brought it in and of course it's fine at the genius bar. Mine flickered and is now just off.

8. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

Happened again today, this time it displayed some pixellated garbage then went entirely black.

Opened up the displays pref pane, it was still recognized there, but it remained black.

Unplugged the power for a few seconds, plugged it back in. After another 5 or so seconds after plugging it back in, it came back. I saw the IOThunderbolt switch console entries again when it blacked out - but nothing when I unplugged it from power.

9. iphoneuserinyyz macrumors member

After a week of frequent flashing/blacking out, I decided to order a Thunderbolt cable to see if using an alternative connection would make a difference. Of course, from the moment I placed the order at apple.com, my display stopped flashing... I am hanging on to the cable for now to see if it acts up again, and then I will try the cable and report back.

10. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

I believe the issue is related to either my hub or the external hds. That said everytime i lose the tb display the fans on the tb would spin up. The last time it did not. Maybe just a tb fan issue?

11. frankdogg macrumors regular

frankdogg

Don't know if this helps but with a Samsung monitor I had before it started flickering like everyone is describing. I found out that one of the capacitors needed replacing. It was easy to spot because it looked swollen compared to the other ones that were still good.

Anyone wanna open up their tbd and take a look?