issues with 3G phone, does this warrant an exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AustinIphoner, Jul 30, 2008.

1. AustinIphoner macrumors member

alright, so i finally got my iphone, and ive had some issues i didnt ever have with my first iphone.

SMS sound is sporatic, last night, several texts came in with no sound, its not on silent either. But this morning, i tested it with my moms phone and i got a sound. New emails occasionally dont make sound when they arrive in my inbox.

the lock button slopes slightly down towards the sim card, you can see it and feel it.

Also, this might not be a phone issue, but more of a att issue as many people seem to be experiencing this. my 3G never has more than 2 bars. even my Edge is weak. Had a prior iphone that got no signal and they replaced it.

i set up a mac genius appt 2moro night, just for them to look at it to make sure its good, or see if it needs replacement. I hope they replace it, so i can buy a case with screen protector and keep it mint.

the one i have now, already has some light scratches on the back, which bugs the hell out of me. and i cant stand the smudges on the screen. constantly cleaning it.

So with those issues, what do you think they will say?

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I would try restoring it to fix the sporatic sounds problem. The signal thing might have some merrit, but it could just be that you are in an area that does not have good 3G reception. The other issues seem to be VERY minor (slight slope on the lock button, scratches, etc.) and more nitpicky than anything.

3. iPhone3G macrumors member

I also have the sloping of the lock button towards the sim tray. I had been wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I know it's extremely minor and doesn't seem to cause any harm whatsoever, but it does annoy me sometimes when I notice it.

I've had mine since launch though, so probably to late to replace anyways. Hopefully my new case will keep it off of my mind. Good luck getting a replacement!

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

5. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

ya, ill try a restore tonight when i get home. I think my signal is messed up, cause i had it next to another 3G phone that had great reception and i had 2-3 bars. I dont think ive ever seen my phone with full 3G bars, and i drive across town alot. I live in Austin tx, its not like i live in BFE. haha

i understand its minor, but when you spend $200+ on a peice of electronics, you expect it to be flawless from the factory, if had dropped it and pushed in the lock button i could understand.

I thought i saw a couple posts that said something about it, and when i checked, sure enough, i have it. when you run your finger across it, you cant feel more of a "resistance" on the outter part and less on the sim tray side.

thanks!

ya, thats what i figured, im gonna be going there 2moro night to get a case anyways, might as well have them take a look at it while im there. Even if they dont replace it, its no skin off my back, ill just ask them to clean my screen with the solution they have so my screen protector seal properly

6. Adobo macrumors member

Sloping sleep button

Yeah, mine had the sloping issue as well. Bugged me quite a bit. Not the only thing though. I had a gouge in the chrome and chips in the plastic casing around the sim tray and around the speakers. In addition to those problems, I had the light leak problem.

I took it back and explained all of those issues to the Genius. Seemed like they paid more attention to the light leak issue than any of the other "cosmetic" problems. They switched it out, but took a lot of convincing.

The one I got back was perfect except for the sleep button again. Still slopes, but not as much. I figure all of them will have some kind of issue, and this is probably one of the better ones. I have a friend who's sleep button is raised up too high.

7. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Sounds like a software issue. You can try to take it back, but they might just restore and have you try it again.

8. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I have a sleep/wake button that is slightly sloped. I would take it back, but this being my 3rd iPhone I am not going to bother. Plus I have ZERO dead pixels and no light leaking through. So I would settle for a sloppy button versus the other two any day.

9. Adobo macrumors member

ditto

I have a friend on his 3rd phone and the cosmetic blemishes keep getting worse. On top if that, he's having other problems with the software.

10. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I would love to have a perfect iPhone. However just with my luck I have been having with them I decided to settle for this one. If it gets worst that I can't press the button anymore, I will go for a new one. But so far so good. Between my girlfriend and I we are on our 6th iPhone. I am just lucky our last ones seem to have very minor defects.

11. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

the lock button seems to be sloping more and more. I can almost run my finger over it with no resistance from the edge of the button. It just happens to be on the side i put my finger on to lock it, so when i press it, it doesnt feel like it locks. Its really bugging me now.

i also noticed the silent slider is also sunken in on one side :mad:

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If you are unsure and have time, take it back if you do not like it.

If they tell you it is software and to reboot, so be it

What can it hurt?

13. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

alright, just got back from the apple store. They swapped it out for me!!! haha i had a couple scratches here and there that were bugging me, and with the minor issues i had, i took it in.

the big thing that make him give me a new one was the sporatic sound. he said the signal was normal and showed me a couple other iphones that had the same kinda button and he said it was normal. oh well

got to my car with iphone still in shrink wrap stuff. and put it swiftly into the Griffin Wave case. where it shall remain until its biweekly cleaning.