Issues with a BBC homepage like homepage, converting to newer jquery and xml to sql

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cabbit, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

^_^ hello all i am working on my fantastically awesome KittenBunny CMS for well me but it is a openkitten project so you can do as you please with the source code other than the source code that was provided from tutorials(the bbc homepage, and login script(replacing with my own soon)).

However the homepage since i upgraded to Safari 4 and Firefox 3.x i have had a issue where it kinda jumps instead of being nice and smooth, i tried to transition it to a newer version of jquery but got rather confused.

I also wish to convert the XML and cookie approach to a more me friendly mySQL database where there would be 2 tables i would assume which 1 would store the info that normally goes in the cookie by username, and another that connects the feeds to the other tables in the site so that say the forum block would call back the top 10 results form the forum.

I would most appreciate some help in doing this as i am rather stumped in how to transition from xml to mysql as i have very little understanding of how xml works just now until i find a good book to learn it.

The tutorial i used for the bbc home page like home page is located here however it did not really explain very well in the magazine how it all comes together but i since i missed that issue and only my lecturer bought this one (we each bought the odd copy of each other and shared them but i have since graduated and don't have access to her magazines now).

Here is a link to my development site me me
    Here is a source code download source

Thank you to anyone that can point me in the right direction and/or lead a hand, with luck now that i am due to start my degree year in September i will hopefully have a good lecture in University that is very knowledgeable in PHP as i really think that if i had someone go over my silly mistakes i could perhaps be really good with this as so far i am pretty much self taught having no training in college or elsewhere.

2. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Just a wee update i contacted the magazine requesting a back issue of 145 however it is no longer available, i am hoping tomorrow to get in touch with my lecture and see if she still has it so i can study this in more depth and perhaps rewrite and optimize it better to my needs.