Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I just had this problem and have had it before were the AirPods have issues with the other person hearing me while on a phone call. It's gotten so bad at times I just prefer to plug in the wired headphones which work much better and the other person on the call can actually hear me. I have the AirPods 2. Anyone else? Is apple working on fixing this issue? NO I am not buying new AirPods.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Is your microphone in the Airpods working correctly? A good test would be just to create a voice memo with the Airpods(I would do one at a time) just to rule out faulty microphone. If your mics work then I guess it would either be on the software side of the iPhone or their end (assuming you have only tried this phone call with the same person)

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Is your microphone in the Airpods working correctly? A good test would be just to create a voice memo with the Airpods(I would do one at a time) just to rule out faulty microphone. If your mics work then I guess it would either be on the software side of the iPhone or their end (assuming you have only tried this phone call with the same person)
Just tested. Mic works great. If it’s the other person then why does me picking up the phone work fine?

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
The same thing seems to be happening to me (I have AirPods 1). Was on a FaceTime with a friend and he could not understand/hear me so I had to switch to wired earbuds.

Reactions: jwolf6589

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
I have AirPods Pro 2 paired with my iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.3. Does this happen to anyone else? I'll be sitting at my desk and I have an incoming phone call. I pop both AirPods in my ears, hear the "bong" and then swipe to answer the call. The phone shows that it is using the first speaker option which is the speaker that you hold to your ear vs. being set to AirPods. If I tap on the AirPods option, the majority of the time, the call hangs up. It otherwise takes a good 5 seconds for me to hear the caller on my AirPods. It never used to be this way - used to be near instant. Is anyone else having this problem??? After I answer a call, it's 5 seconds of "Hello, you there? Can you hear me? Helloooo? Oh, there you are..." every.single.time. It's extremely frustrating for me and my clients. The other thing I forgot to mention - once I'm talking to someone on the phone with my APP2, about 1-3 minutes into the call, the call switches back to the internal iPhone speaker (not speakerphone). Soooo annoying!!! Do Apple engineers/employees actually use their own products? I'm about to throw my two paired HomePod OGs out the window!!! "Who's speaking?" Uggg...

Last edited:

techgamer

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
I have AirPods Pro 2 paired with my iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.3. Does this happen to anyone else? I'll be sitting at my desk and I have an incoming phone call. I pop both AirPods in my ears, hear the "bong" and then swipe to answer the call. The phone shows that it is using the first speaker option which is the speaker that you hold to your ear vs. being set to AirPods. If I tap on the AirPods option, the majority of the time, the call hangs up. It otherwise takes a good 5 seconds for me to hear the caller on my AirPods. It never used to be this way - used to be near instant. Is anyone else having this problem??? After I answer a call, it's 5 seconds of "Hello, you there? Can you hear me? Helloooo? Oh, there you are..." every.single.time. It's extremely frustrating for me and my clients.
Oh, so it's not just me. This is the same thing that happens to me too. So annoying. It doesn't seem to occur with the AirPods max though. I do hope 16.3.1 will fix it or at least the 16.4

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I have the same issues with my AirPods Pro 2. I got a replacement through AC+ and the issues persist. Call quality is horrible, the other side often can’t understand me. I left test voicemails for myself and they sound muffled and like I’m under water.

I also have the connection issue where calls go to the phone speaker first and not the AirPods.

I’ve used APP daily for work since the original Pros launched, this started happening a month or so ago. I hope it’s software related because music sounds unbelievable. But I can’t use them for work at all anymore until this gets fixed.

Reactions: ascender

techgamer

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
I have the same issues with my AirPods Pro 2. I got a replacement through AC+ and the issues persist. Call quality is horrible, the other side often can’t understand me. I left test voicemails for myself and they sound muffled and like I’m under water.

I also have the connection issue where calls go to the phone speaker first and not the AirPods.

I’ve used APP daily for work since the original Pros launched, this started happening a month or so ago. I hope it’s software related because music sounds unbelievable. But I can’t use them for work at all anymore until this gets fixed.

Yeah, as I've only ever used the Airpod Max and so it's my first time using the AirPods pro 2 and so I bought another pair and sent the other ones back pro 2 back and the second pair I got it still is happening so for sure is a software or firmware issue/fix. Hopefully, it's sooner rather than later.

techgamer

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
I assume 16.3.1 didn't help anyone either? As it never helped me for phone calls on my xs max

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I assume 16.3.1 didn't help anyone either? As it never helped me for phone calls on my xs max
Not me, still very muffled calls. Really disappointing since I use them daily for work calls, have since been using another brand. This is one of the main reasons why I use iPhone, hopefully it’ll be addressed soon. Will have to throw them in a drawer in the meantime.

techgamer

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
Not me, still very muffled calls. Really disappointing since I use them daily for work calls, have since been using another brand. This is one of the main reasons why I use iPhone, hopefully it’ll be addressed soon. Will have to throw them in a drawer in the meantime.

That's a shame then. It is very frustrating same with the phone calls I had just bought apple care for them too 😔

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
Did the 5E133 update help anyone, hasn't been for me.
I would say it helped a little bit but it is still flakey - for example, I will be 2 or 3 minutes into a call on my 14 Pro with APP2 and all of a sudden I can't hear the caller any longer. The damn call has automagically transferred to my 14 Pro ear speaker instead...ugg.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
This is definitely an issue, my AirPods Pro 2's have mic and connectivity issues. People cannot understand what I am saying, it's digital and garbled. This actually may be an issue with both the iPhone and M1 Max MacBook Pro 15" because my Sony noise cancelling headphones seem to have this issue as well, just not as bad. Others I know have exchanged multiple AirPods Pro 2s and have the same issue.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
This is definitely an issue, my AirPods Pro 2's have mic and connectivity issues. People cannot understand what I am saying, it's digital and garbled. This actually may be an issue with both the iPhone and M1 Max MacBook Pro 15" because my Sony noise cancelling headphones seem to have this issue as well, just not as bad. Others I know have exchanged multiple AirPods Pro 2s and have the same issue.
The AirPods Pro (1&2) are faulty by design. Exchange then is useless.

The new voice isolation function make the situation slightly better but it’s far to be optimal.

You can’t count on that device for outdoor or even car calls.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I use AirPods 2 for literally hours of phone calls per day and I've never had anyone say that they cannot hear me.

The only issue I do have is that on occasion when I'm using just one AirPod it seems to get confused and will drop back to the phone speaker. That's not common though.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I use AirPods 2 for literally hours of phone calls per day and I've never had anyone say that they cannot hear me.

The only issue I do have is that on occasion when I'm using just one AirPod it seems to get confused and will drop back to the phone speaker. That's not common though.

Probably your use is 99% for indoor calls. Outdoors calls are awful, no doubt about it.

Ndumu53

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2023
My problem was cutting out while playing music. It was constant. I just installed 16.5 and the issue has resolved.
I wonder if this might also work for this issue?

techgamer

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
Yeah. I'm on the beta for 16.5 and even calls seem to be much better now. Hopefully it's helped others too :)

Reactions: Ndumu53

techgamer

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
Only tried Messenger for now and indoors. The issue I had was not using the AirPods when a call was accepted. Is voice isolation been an issue too?

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've had this exact issue occur. on my AirPods Pro, people say it sounds like I'm underwater and/or muffled. I'll try the voice memo recording test, I hadn't thought of doing that. I've tried a full reset so far and Apple quoted me £245 to do a mail-in repair as they're out of warranty.

Itech.resources

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2023
I’m having AirPod pro 2 purchased recently around 1month old and have the audio issue during phone calls and teams/zoom calls. I have tested with voice memos application in iphone12 , iPad Air and mac m1. All are having same issues. Even I have visited Apple service center and they are saying no issue observed from their diagnostics tool. I am insisting the issue exist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.