issues with airport card, self assigned IP and it dropping out constantly!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jemimamac, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Jemimamac macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I have a massive problem with my macbook. When I try to connect to the internet using my airport extreme card, it connects but can last from 30 seconds to up to half an hour. Occasionally it will reconnect by itself and sometimes it will not even bring up other wifi networks as I know there a couple on my street, in the network prefrences were the wifi is it most usually has an orange dot than a green one.

I have used the network diagnostic a million times, some with success and some asking me for my password and telling me its wrong when I know its correct. I also get occasionally a self assigned IP and when I run the diagnostic when this occurs most times it will connect but drop out soon after.

Also it seems that when it cant connect and asks me to put the network password in it says connecting to network and then says timed out.

This isnt a new problem, I’ve only lived in this house for 4 months and it worked perfectly for 2 months, we unfortunatly had a disagreement with an ex flatmate about her paying the broadband and she decided to reset the router, This is when the troouble with me connecting.

In the last month ive had weeks were I’ll be connected for days and others for instance the last 3 days were its inpossible to get online. Luckly enough I have a PC back up system

I have been bugging my flatmate about this for weeks and he informs me that the routers firmwear is up to date and I have the correct passwords. I have re set the modem and the router a million times with varing success. I chose not to set the router back to its factory settings as I live with 4 other people and they think I’m nuts because my mac isnt working.

Recently I got very frustrated and as I had a spare working wireless router I plugged that in and sat with my flatmate who told me the info I needed. This still made little difference. We live in and old victorian house and I have a room at the front and the wifi router is downstairs direcctly under my room.

Today I decided to try move the router closer to were I mostly use my mac, on or in my bed, I also did an acid test were I took my macbook downstairs and placed it on the table about 50cm away from the router. It connected straight away and only dropped out twice during the evening.

Now I’m back upstairs and having the same despair as before. I’ve tried adding the MAC address in the router settings and adding my macbook to the MAC address list, I turn the airport card off for long periods of time, after changing the router everyone in the house (who own paces) could connect without any issues.

I am pulling my hair out about this and its really frustrating as I cannot live without the internet (yes its very sad but I’ve acknowledged this so I know I have an addiction!) I use it everyday to talk to my friends, for uni and its a very important communication when your a poor student and had your phone cut off!

what upsets me the most is that I’m really loosing faith in my macbook, I love it to pieces but right now I’m very tempted to chuck it out of a window!!!

So, can anyone help?! I suspect a faulty airport card, the machine isn't old, it was bought in june/july and configured for me as I am dyslexic and the government award uni students with their equipment so I got the macbook. I haven't taken my macbook out with me recently but about 3 weeks ago it was connecting to a open wifi network in a train station and connecting to my university network....

So,,,, Over to you!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What kind of router? I've been having a lot of problems with my belkin n wireless router dropping signal to my 2.4 MBP (uni). I've also got a windows machine with the same problem, so I really can't blame it on my mac.

3. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Goto:

MacHD-> Library -> Preferences and drag the SystemConfiguration folder to the desktop. (Make sure no other programs are running.) Reboot, and set up your internet connnection again.

See how that goes.

4. Jemimamac thread starter macrumors newbie

problem solved!

Hey, well my friend who works for the ISP came over and played with it, basically i had it set to 108m/b so he put it on 56m/b and made sure that it would refresh the IP adress every 24 hours