Issues with Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alphaod, May 26, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Currently, I have Dual-band Linksys WR600N which is working fine. I just bought a Airport Express to wirelessly extend my wireless network. However I had a Dual-band network, so I set the Airport Express to use the 5GHz frequency which works great. I have set my second router to connect using Ethernet to the Airport Express; I'm having problems getting a IP address from my main router.

Basically:
    --- Wireless, === Ethernet
    Internet===Modem/Router===Switch===Wireless AP---Airport Express===Wireless AP.

Current last wired connection doesn't work. I tried connecting directly from my computer to the AE using Ethernet and I can't get an IP either; however I can connect wireless to the AE and get an IP and go online. I have no idea why the wired port is not working for me. I have this enabled:
    [​IMG]

How do I get the Ethernet port to work?

Thanks in advance.

2. kolax macrumors G3

I'm confused by your setup, it isn't very clear. You have a computer connected to the Ethernet port on the Airport Express?

3. slu macrumors 68000

slu

4. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes this set-up is very elaborate.

I'm explain it in words.

I have a ActionTek router/modem that came with my FiOS. I use that as my router; it is connected to a gigabit switch which all my desktops, printers, etc. connect to and then it's linked to a Linksys WRT600N wireless access point, so I can go online wirelessly. My signal does not reach far enough, so I want to set the AE as a wireless bridge. In other words, take the signal from the WRT600N and convert it to Ethernet. I have another access point, a Linksys WRT350N I'm trying to connect using Ethernet to the AE, so I have another wireless access point which much better antenna.

Right now it won't assign a IP address via the Ethernet port on the AE.

You know the gaming adapters they sell? Basically I'm trying to use the AE for that purpose.

Then why is there an option that says "Enable Ethernet Clients" ?

5. kolax macrumors G3

I'm still confused.

You are using the Airport Express to extend your wireless network, as you are with the Linksys WRT350N?

Why do you want to connect the Linksys WRT350N to the Airport Express ethernet port?

6. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm using the Airport Express to extend my 5GHz network; I want to connect the Linksys WRT350N to the Airport Express ethernet port, so I can extend my 2.4GHz network as well.

7. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Now I figured out what I've been doing wrong, but I've run into another problem.

So I enabled WDS which my main router supports and I enabled WDS on the Airport Express and set it up as a remote; now it won't connect at all and it won't reset when I press the reset button.

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Hope this helps...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080323005700157&query=Airport+Express

Nevermind, PCMag says you have a Broadcom chipset

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2236019,00.asp

9. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Fixed

Thanks for all y'all help. I figure it out.

I reflashed my firmware from the Linksys default to the DD-WRT firmware, I could set up specific WDS settings like main AP, repeater, remote; the default firmware is main AP only; Also the DD-WRT firmware is compatible with the Apple WDS. I did have few issues where the AE wasn't getting an IP, so WDS didn't work. After I changed the DNS from the router to the wireless access point, everything worked. The AE is fowarding the IP addresses and all.

Now I just need to figure how to enable encryption without making a mess. I don't mind sharing my internet, but I'd like to keep would-be intruders (not neighbors) out. I might just end up doing MAC filtering. That's the issue with using different brands; to make sure there is compatibility, you have disable security. WEP works, but it's just useless.