Issues with all Macbook Pro 2010 faulty logic board & Kernel panics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mojohojo, Apr 18, 2013.

1. mojohojo macrumors regular

Hi,

My Macbook Pro has been getting Kernel Panics almost daily, and I have already asked on the Apple community for advice.
    After researching around online, I have found that this was quite a common problem with others; and have been getting copy/pasted advice this is related to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088 with "the Edsel of Mac's";Macbook Pro's 2010 (which I have); and suggest to bring it to Apple Genius to run a 'special diagnostic' to see if it fails. If it does, Apple will replace the logic board.

I am guessing that Apple is aware a wide batch of these Macbook Pro's have faulty logic board installed from the beginning?
    Can someone clarify what this issue is about? What is the 'special diagnose'? Has Apple made an official statement regarding these Macbooks?

From other replies, it seems if the macbook falls under this category (fails the special diagnose); Apple will replace the logic board for free within the 3 years of purchase; even if you don't have the extended AppleCare?

I am located in a country with official apple stores or geniuses; are Apple authorised repairers aware of this problem?

2. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

3. mojohojo thread starter macrumors regular

Its not the standard Apple Hardware Diagnostic; as here is the response:

Anyway, have yet to bring it to an authorized repairer to enquire about it; but hopefully they will know.

Apple will service affected 15-inch MacBook Pro computers free of charge until three years from date of purchase. Apple will provide further extensions to this program as needed. This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the affected MacBook Pro.

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I had a problem with my 2010 MBP right after I upgraded to lion. Tons of kernel panics, and if it wasn't doing that, the thing was basically unusable anyway. I took it to apple 2 months out of warranty. The first time, they replaced the HDD and the Logic Board. The problem was still there afterwards. The second time I took it in, I had the logic board replaced again, the problem still persisted. The third time I took it in, they gave me a brand new Mid 2011 Macbook pro. Havent looked back since.