Issues with aluminum bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by akkkmed, Apr 5, 2011.

1. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Hi,

I purchased a knock-off aluminum bumper on eBay. I received it today and I have a few questions.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250786487361&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The biggest problem is there's a gap on the left side of the case. Meaning the silver antenna is showing. I think it's bent a tiny bit. I contacted the seller and he's sending me a new piece.

The first questions is about the signal loss. For others with the aluminum cases/bumpers, do you experience any issues with the bars and signal? I've had one bar all day in my house, yet I usually have 2-3. And I just made the first phone call and it took longer to initially connect.

Lastly, the phone wiggles around in the bumper. The screws are as tight as possible, and I used the foam pads like I was supposed to. It's not going to fall out, but it moves around.. Is this just because of the first issue, because it's a knock-off, or both?

Thanks!

2. Anotoneher macrumors member

If I were you I'd throw it right in the trash. 99% of alum cases have significant reception issues, E13ctron being one of the few that I haven't seen problems with. The knockoff alum cases obliterate the reception, especially when using the GPS while in a moving car (it won't work).

So you have...

Reception issues
    It wiggles
    Doesn't fit correctly
    Has a gap in fitment

This is because you're using a replica of a case that costs $100+. Like I said, I'd cut my losses and trash it or attempt a full refund.

3. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand where you're coming from. The seller already offered me a full refund after I try the replacement bumper. So that doesn't worry me at all. Just thought I'd ask for ideas first. Thanks.

4. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

These aluminum cases really should be made for ipod touches, as no reception is necessary.

5. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

They look nice....but I suppose I agree.
    I took off the bumper and my 3 bars popped up again. I'm just going to return it. Dang it.

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

except for wifi, since wifi is, you know, a radio signal.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Have you looked at the Atomic Hybrid? it maintains the same look as the Element case and their knockoffs (if that's what you purchased) but the cap that is covering the antenna is made from a Delrin and Graphite composite...the other cap is made of aluminum. No signal or GPS issues.

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

From your referral I take it you have this case? How do you like it?

9. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

I have the atomic hybrid and like it very much. I tried a couple of the aluminum cases and, at least the "Frame" styled ones are all junk...as are the fusionwerks type. They will absolutely decimate your reception (search youtube for vid reviews, you'll find plenty of proof).

The hybrid, while certainly pricier than the knock off alum cases, shows no signal degradation whatsoever.

Here's a couple of pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]