Issues with AMC app on ATV4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by spice weasel, May 1, 2017.

1. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I recently installed the AMC app on my Apple TV 4, signed in, and all seemed well for a couple of weeks. However, for the past week I've been unable to actually get it to play content. It keeps giving me an error screen telling me that I'm not authorized to play content. I am signed into my cable provider on the app, and I have repeatedly signed out and then back in to see if that fixes the issue. It doesn't. My cable package contains an AMC subscription, and I can watch AMC via that route. I can log on the AMC website and play content just fine that way. I can do so on my iPhone via the app as well. It just won't let me play anything anymore via the Apple TV app. I tried restarting the Apple TV and that doesn't fix the problem. I deleted and re-installed the AMC app and no luck with that either. Ugh.

Has anyone else had this problem with this or another app? Any suggestions?

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

My general "3 step fix", in order is:

1) Bring up task manager and close app
    2) Restart AppleTV
    3) Delete and re-install app

You didn't say if you've done #3, if not, give it a shot. I've had a couple of instances where something in the app, probably some locally stored data prevented it from running, or auth'ing, or whatever, and this resolved it.

3. spice weasel thread starter macrumors 65816

--- Post Merged, May 3, 2017 ---
    Thanks. I've tried all those steps but to no avail. Something is up with the AMC app not properly accepting my cable sign in credentials (even though it says I'm signed in), because I can play all of the free content just fine. It's frustrating, but for now I'm just using AirPlay to stream AMC content from my MacBook to the ATV.

4. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Ahh, bummer, yeah, that's an odd one. We've got AMC auth'ed through a provider, both ATV4s work fine, though they are _constantly_ needing to be re-authenticated, so clearly there's some issues that need to be resolved (sounds like yours is worse).

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What happens if you sign out and then sign back in? That is weird that it won't accept your credentials. Is the cable company you are with having a disagreement with AMC over the fees it is charging?

6. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

Same thing happens to me. I have Xfinity and it says that I am not authorized. Will try uninstalling and reinstalling today.

7. spice weasel thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I have Comcast Xfinity too. I have tried signing out and back in but that doesn't fix it. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Doesn't make a difference. It must be a Comcast issue with AMC, or at least the tvOS app.