Issues with Applecare. Anyone had simlar issues?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EskimoHigh, Apr 22, 2010.

1. EskimoHigh macrumors newbie

I've been getting a lot of fan noise from my 24" iMac for the past couple of weeks so decided last tuesday to call Applecare and arrange a repair. I was advised that someone would be in touch with me within 2 days to arrange an onsite repair.

When Friday came round and still no contact, I called again and was advised that my case was being escalated and that I'd be called on Monday at the latest with details of when my on site repair would be carried out.

Come Tuesday and still no call backs I had to once again call Applecare and was once again told that my case would be investigated and that they would have an answer as to when someone would be out to collect my iMac. Now I'm no expert but surely the phrase "on site repair" means that someone will be out to repair the iMac at my house and not take it away unless necessary. I eventually did get my call back and was told that due to an ongoing dispute with the 3rd party company that they use for repairs, no one would be out to collect the iMac for repair and that I'd be best to arrange an appointment at my closest Apple Store.

I took the Mac in today and was told that I would get it back next tuesday. Im not too happy about this but at least it'll be fixed. My main issue is that this has taken over a week to even begin the repair process and cost me petrol money for the 1st of 2 50 mile round trips to get my problems fixed when this should have been taken care of with the Applecare that I purchased.

Has anyone had any similar issues and know of anything I can do to claim compensation for all the hassle I've been put through and the money I've spent on petrol?

2. EasyJW macrumors member

i've had nothing but goodness from applecare really. i guess its just good and bad luck[​IMG]

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

I always go to the apple store and the support has been great

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

They are definitely not going to pay for your gas.

If you speak with a manager about it, they may be able to do something for you, though I'm not sure what that would be.

5. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

It's hard to say what happened. Most companies contract out for on-site repair and I'm sure Apple is no different. If you have an irresponsible vendor making repairs, it gives the parent company a bad name.

After this is done, I would write a clear, concise letter or contact someone up at Apple. Maybe they will throw you a bone.

6. Xenophon macrumors regular

At the price they're charging for that AppleCare it seems they ought to make it a whole roast chicken in this case!

You have an agreement with them, if it says 'on site repair' that at least means they should send a tech to your place imho, not make you drive 2x50 miles to their shop. THEIR problems with the repair contractor should not become YOUR problem, that's why you signed up with Apple to handle things in the first place, it seems to me.

It all depends on how much energy/money you want to invest in following this through but I'd at the very least write them a letter by registered mail explaining why you're not happy about them not honoring their commitments. Don't waste time calling/mailing, send a complaint to their customer relations contact or to AppleCare. If they don't offer you anything I'd never do business with them again.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Here's what happened to me.

I don't feel like re-typing it all, here's a link