Issues with AVCHD Video and Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by teamrusnac, Aug 7, 2012.

1. teamrusnac macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

Here is my situation. I just purchased a Sony WX-150 camera that records HD video. I was testing it out this weekend at an air show and recorded several clips at 1920x1080/60i. The video looks super crisp and clear on the camera itself, however, when I imported all the files (photos and videos) into Aperture 3.3.2., the video looks like this when it is played and the camera is panning around a scene (see attached image).

If I open the file outside of Aperture and in Quicktime, it looks a lot better, but still not as crisp and clear as I would see it on the camera. Some of that affect is still seen, although very minimally.

I am pretty new to shooting videos and importing them on the computer so please help me understand this. I have read around and found out that Lion was not compatible with this file format before but Mountain Lion is. I am running a Mid 2010 Macbook pro with Intel i5 and 8GB of ram, Mountain Lion 10.8 and all the latest versions of Aperture and FCP.

Do I need to convert this file format to something else? I am getting ready for a trip to Hawaii and would really love to figure this out before I go there and end up with zero good videos! Please let me know. Much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Unfortunately, the Sony WX-150 is only able to record at 1080i60. There is absolutely no 60p or even 30p support.

You can do the following:

- sell the camera and get, say, the RX100. It's a much-much better camera with proper (60p) video.

- if you want to stick with the camera, you'll need to decide whether you want to keep 60 fps or 30 fps is sufficient. With the latter, just use HandBrake's decombing while recompressing; with the former, use the double framerate option of either X264 or Episode with motion decompensation deinterlacing. The latter delivers stunning results but is very slow, unlike HandBrake.

3. kev6677 macrumors member

Now why would you tell him to sell his camera?? This look's like a deinterlacing problem. Your camera shoots at 1080/60i the (i) in the 60 meaning the frames are interlaced and not progressive hence the lines when panning, you can google it for more info, I am not familiar with Aperture but i am sure if it edit's AVCHD it should be able to deinterlace it also.

4. musique macrumors regular

musique

It's possible that Aperture can do something with your video, but it's not a video editing program.

Do you have Final Cut Pro X? That's a program for editing video. I don't know about mixed data (stills and video) on an SD card. For most people doing editing, the key is to copy the entire AVCHD card (the whole set of directories) onto your hard drive. Then point to the top level card directory when you go to import the video into FCPX.