Issues with AW unlock?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dypeterc, Feb 23, 2018.

1. dypeterc macrumors regular

Noticed with the PB3 upgrade that my AWS3 no longer unlocks my Mac (running PB3). Restarted everything and even unchecked/rechecked the "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac" box.

Anyone else?

2. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Maybe I am not fully woken up yet but what is PB3?...

AWS3 cellular here and no problems unlocking MBP with AW so far.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Public Beta 3 maybe?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Check your Security/ Privacy menu on your Mac, and make sure the checkbox (to allow unlocking) for your Apple Watch is marked.

5. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502

Have you tried Unlox - Unlox by Kane Cheshire https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/unlox/id1313188193?l=en&mt=8

It’s a paid app, but rather good.

6. Ffosse macrumors 65816

One shouldn't need a paid app for what is an inbuilt function.

7. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502

This is true, but there are plenty of paid versions of stock apps as they often perform better or provide different features. In this case the developers original app ( MacID) came out before Apples version.

8. Davidglenn macrumors member

Davidglenn

I am having the same issue. The watch was unlocking my MBP perfectly then just stopped. When I wake the MBP up from sleep the MBP says unlocking with Apple Watch. Then in the unlocking panel it has a spinning wheel. Then I need to add my password fro the MBP to unlock. Tried rebooting router, restarting the MBP, iPhone and AW all without success.

Then it worked again once and stopped unlocking the MBP.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you are running beta software, this kind of thing can happen. I also noticed that when updating to a regular public release, (sometimes) the setting for the unlocking would need to be re-enabled again.

10. Davidglenn macrumors member

Davidglenn

Thanks for the reply. I am not running any beta software. The unlocking worked after I upgraded to 11.2.6 and 4.2.3 just all of sudden stopped unlocking. I thought the rebooting everything may have solved the problem but it didn't.

11. dypeterc thread starter macrumors regular

Restarts fix it. But then it'll go back out. Im running beta software so I get it...

@davidgle AW unlock relies 2 things: good BT connection and internet connection. If either aren't working right, then it'll fail.