Issues with bootcamp and windows xp (bsod at boot up)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Stormquist, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Stormquist macrumors newbie

After unifying my hdd into one partition so bootcamp would let me install windows, everything was just fine. I installed windows, got the bootcamp drivers installed and I started to install programs and update windows.
    (VLC, Steam, Servicepack 3 + security updates)

Naturally I had to restart my mac a few times, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary; everything performed as expected. Even played some counterstrike in windows before I rebooted back into osx.

A few hours later I tried booting back into windows, and it says there was an error and gives me the usual boot options (safe, last known working config etc etc). After I select one it begins to work, but after 5-10 seconds I get a bluescreen that lasts for a split second before rebooting. /repeat.

Anyone had the same issue or know how to fix it?
    Sadly I don't know how to save whatever the bsod reads as it only appears for a split second before restarting the mac.

I allready made a new partition on my osx part of the drive and filled it with stuff, hopefully I won't have to copy it off again, unify the disk and re-install windows. It was a pain the first time :(

Thank you for any help,

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The good news is that you never really have to use Boot Camp Assistant.

Can you try a logged boot to see if that can give us a clue?

Also: it may just be a case of a bad software update see this thread for some culprits gugucom recommends disabling. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1029074

B

3. Stormquist, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

Stormquist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply :)
    Actually I decided to reformat and do a clean install of xp, now it boots up, but after installing the bootcamp drivers the cursor won't move, nor will the keyboard respond in xp.

OSx also boots up terribly slow now.

Arf.

Time to do a clean install of everything I guess.:eek:
    Giving it one last hurra and booting up in parallels and try to update everything.

PS- I have a macbook pro (i7, 15") which was purchased in june of this year. OSx is fully updated.
    The windows version I'm using is a XP Pro with sp2.

4. Stormquist thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

1)
    Using parallels to update ended in the windows partition dying completely.

2)
    Deleted all partitions and did a reinstall of osx.

3)
    Updated and installed programs in osx

4)
    Timemachined everything

5)
    Used bootcamp to make a new windows partition and installed windows.

6)
    Updated windows xp up untill SP3 (but not including) as the problems started after installing SP3 the last time around.

It all appears to be working now, this has taken a few more hours to complete than expected :eek:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Probably a good idea to make a Winclone image if you can.

B