Issues With Brothers MBP and Freezing PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KBS756, Oct 18, 2010.

1. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

My brother restarted his macbook pro today

i7 17 inch with 8 gb ram

with no issues prior to the restart and when it booted it got to the aura default screen and is still stuck there with the spinning wheel of death

none of the top bar is showing

no shortcuts work

i tried inserting the OSX disk and using disk utility to repair disk permissions and repair disk. Neither worked both just froze for over 30 minutes.

so i have no idea how to fix this.

Can anyone help me thanks

2. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forgot to mention when i tried to repair disk i got "invalid node structure"

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Bad harddrive... Either upgrade it with a new one, or get some warranty work done...

4. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there a way to recover the data on it because we really need that ...

thanks in advance

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Possibly... Go and get a USB 2.5" sata enclosure and a new 2.5" sata hard drive. Then, install os x on the new drive, and put the old drive in the enclosure. See if it recognizes the drive, and if it does, drag and drop your data onto the desktop or something.

6. jmazzamj macrumors regular

You don't need to buy a 2.5" HD to recover your data.
    Just plug a FireWire cable in your MacPro, hook the MBP up and hold down cmd + T when booting up in order to put it into Target disk mode and your brother's MBP HD will show up in your system as a FireWire external drive.

Very very useful!!

Hope this helps...

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

If target firewire doesn't work try an Ubuntu live CD. I know it sounds weird, but I had the same problem. It wouldn't boot and I couldn't get anything to read my hdd. I booted in the live CD and was able to copy everything to an external hdd.

My macbook's HDD still works too, it doesn't sound like you have a problem with the HDD either but with the data structure. Was booting in bootcamp the last thing you did too?

8. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thx for your replies... It wont read in target disk mode. I am using a copy of disk rescue 3 I obtained to try to back up the data now. Apple told me the hdd most likely needs to be replaced and that I will not get the original back if they do the replace. So I am trying to get a back up done before I take it back to them to have it replaced