Issues with charging the Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Aug 22, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody else had issues? Had it on charge for like 5 mins and still only at 1%. Bigger problem is I can't find the adapter to charge it through the wall. Hate to imagine how much they cost in the Apple Store.

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Can't say I have had problems charging my Apple Pencil so far.

See if you can bring it on for servicing? Try charging it via another iOS device to see if the problem prevails?

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I've found the adapter but it's still on 4%

Luckily I've found the order confirmation so hoping I could go in the Apple Store and just get a replacement. Guessing they will do that?

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The Apple Pencil has a one year warranty. Provided there is no obvious signs of damage or mistreatment on your part, Apple should replace it if it is indeed malfunctioning.

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah it's in good shape. I've had a magnetic cover on it so it's barely been exposed.

Just booked an appointment for next Monday so hoping they will give me a new one. Guessing they will have them in stock

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Best of luck.

7. SnacksMcGee macrumors newbie

SnacksMcGee

Had the same problem. Pencil would never keep a charge. Returned it to the Apple Store and got a replacement.

8. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Same thing happened to me...returned and replaced...seems to be occurring more often

9. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I bought it in feb so not lasted long really.

My warranty runs out feb 2017 but if it happens again will they still have to replace it after that? guessing so if it's faulty.

10. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

no problems here. i find a full charge runs flat in about 2-3 days. then a full re-charge takes about and hour or so

11. bensisko macrumors 65816

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an appointment - just walk into the store. It's a low cost (for Apple) item so at worst they would stick in one of their iPads to test - at best they take your word for it and hand you a new one.

The only thing I can think of is to while the Lightning port to make sure there's no grime on it (even if your pencil is left unexposed, your iPad's port has been around....).

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not a good idea. You used to be able to walk in with a frayed cable and get a replacement without Genius appointment, but no more. You need Genius appointment to replace cables. Pencil is more expensive than cables, so I doubt you'll be able to get them replaced without appointment.

13. bensisko macrumors 65816

Maybe it's based on location. I had a bad USB-C cable which was a walk-in replace (no genius appointment), as was getting a replacement tip for the Pencil (before they were available as an order able part).

Worst case scenario they tell you to make an appointment. If your closest Apple Store is 45 min away and you don't have other business, then an appointment is the safe bet. Otherwise there's no harm in trying. Also, there's a chance they can get you in as a walk-in (they usually hold some availability for walk-ins).

14. Red Viking macrumors newbie

Is there a lightning icon by the charge percentage when you insert the pencil into your ipad? If there isn't, that means your ipad isn't charging your pencil. I had a similar problem; my ipad pro wasn't charging the pencil, and when I charged the pencil the via the USB adapter, it was very slow. Turned out that it was my ipad at fault; it couldn't even charge itself with its own charger. To fix this, I restarted my ipad. Hold the home button and the on/off button at the top for a few seconds until the ipad reboots. The ipad and the pencil charged fine after. Good luck!

15. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

cheers

It does have the charging sign on it but just stays on 4%

Will try your tip though to see if it fixes it

16. Red Viking macrumors newbie

Yes, but is it showing the charging sign when you're charging the pencil directly in the ipad, or when you're charging via the adapter?

17. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Did you buy it with a credit card? If so, check to see if the credit card issuer automatically doubles the warranty period. With my AMEX, for example, I would pay to have an out-of-warranty device repaired, and then AMEX reimburses me.

Good luck.

18. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

shows the charging sign when it's charging in the ipad and the adapter.