Issues with coming out of sleep mode? Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by surfcroatan, Nov 9, 2011.

1. surfcroatan macrumors newbie

Hey all, I just joined and was hoping I could get some advice on what is going wrong with my MacBook Pro when I try to take it out of sleep mode.

Here's the problem: Sometimes when I close the lid of my MacBook and leave it (either for a few minutes, hours, or even a day or two) when I open the lid the screen stays black and I cannot get the display to work, though I hear the little whirring sound of it cranking up. Shutting the lid to try to put it back into sleep mode and waking it by opening it again does not work. The only solution I have found is to manually hold the power button until I hear the whirr of the hard drive shutting down, then pressing the power button to crank it back up again. Sometimes this method shuts the computer down and restarts it, sometimes it just resumes where I left off as if it were coming out of sleep mode.

Alternately, when I go to Apple > sleep and leave the screen open and press the power button again at a later time to bring it out of sleep, sometimes the screen stays blank and I hear the whirring sound, while sometimes it comes out of sleep normally. When the screen stays blank I have to revert to the aforementioned method with the same mixed results.

The problem occurs both connected to power and not, and even more annoyingly occurs at random, sometimes happening sometimes not. I have taken it to the Mac Genius people who told me they "couldn't replicate the problem." It happened again right after I picked up my computer.

Please please help me unravel this mystery, it is very detrimental to my work as a student. I often have lost large parts of papers or all of the research tabs I have had open. (Frankly the loss of all of my research for my paper due tomorrow prompted me to join this site looking for a few answers.)

Thank you so much!

P.S. I don't know if this information is relevant, but I am running OS X Version 10.5.8 and I update my computer regularly. Thanks again!

2. Ansah macrumors newbie

Ansah

Have you looked into this?:

http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/mactips119.html

I changed the default "3" value to "0" via terminal command, as I decided I don't need the extra protection of the hibernate mode 3, and now my MBP both sleeps and wakes up quickly and easily.

I used to have to do the hard reset with the power button too. No fun. HTH

3. InTheUnion macrumors regular

InTheUnion

Which graphics card does your computer have? And when this happens, does everything apart from the display still work? For example can you open itunes and play songs?

I used to have these episodes with my 2007 MBP and never found out what they were or the cause of them. However, when my graphics card died and nothing would appear on the screen upon booting (It took me a while to realise everything else still worked), I started to wonder if these graphics-related errors had been happening all along.

4. Maggs7725 macrumors newbie

Same problem

Did you ever find a solution to this? My Macbook is doing the exact same thing.

Thanks