Issues with connection to internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by C-lon, Aug 28, 2010.

1. C-lon macrumors member

Recently I have been having issues loading internet content. When I try to load almost any website, my internet browser acts like it is searching for my wireless router and can't find it. However, when I use my PSP to connect to the internet from the same spot, it works perfectly fine. The PSP usually says there is a 70% connection, which is better than it has ever been. My router and laptop are on the same floor only a room away.

I have other people in my house that share the router: 6 computers; 4 are laptops that are used more often than the 2 desktops, 4 iPod Touches; 2 of which are never used. I had everyone turn off Bluetooth on all devices since none of us use that feature and that didn't help all.

I honestly don't know what the problem is, but if I had to make a guess, it would be all of the things that our devices can connect to with AirPort. There is Motorola, 2WIRE017, 2WIRE160, 2WIRE417, 2WIRE730, MartinWirelessRouter, NorzWireless, NETGEAR, schooly, and stackdaddy. I think all of these wireless connections are disrupting one another, which is what I thought was causing the problem. The only one I ever care to connect to is Motorola, so is there a way to prevent my computer from even recognizing anything else?

I am completely out of ideas. If you read this and think the problem is something else, please help me and let me know.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Run this first:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/33696

Next, try adding a new DNS server in network prefs > Show airport > TCP/IP.

Next, get iStumbler in order to know which channels all those other routers are on:
    http://istumbler.net/

Try to set your router to transmit on an unused channel - better yet, at least two channels from any stronger signal-router.

3. C-lon thread starter macrumors member

Okay...you're going to have to explain these things to me because I don't know what I'm really getting into. The scanning was self-explanatory so I did the first step and the Trojan virus wasn't detected, but I don't know how to add servers, use iStumbler, or configure my router.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Get iStumbler and run it and describe what you get - you'll have a list of router names (=network names) and signal strength and channel.

5. C-lon thread starter macrumors member

I just took a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

6. C-lon thread starter macrumors member

I think I may know what the problem is. We had our router configured for downstairs, and when we moved it, we had problems. I still have a really good connection from down there–the best yet–which is even further away, so I think we just need to reconfigure again. I would like to know how to do what you're trying to explain though.

7. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

You configure your router by using a browser and entering the IP address of the router:
    http://192.168.1.1 for example

There you will find a place to select channel - I would try channel 4.
    There's probably also a button for apply or accept changes.
    No setting to change on the Mac or other computers.

8. C-lon thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thank you so much. I have the address of my router bookmarked. All I need to do now is find our manual so that I can have the login and password.

9. C-lon thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and should I make a DNS server? How should I do that?