Issues with creating custom ringtones...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by peanutismint, Dec 22, 2010.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm trying to make some custom ringtones for my iPhone 4 just to change things up a little. I've found some guides on how to do it only using iTunes. The only problem is that, unlike the majority of kids who want their favourite 'Akon' song to blast out when someone calls them on the bus, I can't think of anything more annoying than hearing a song every time someone calls. So I'm trying to use sound FX and famous sounds from film/TV/video games etc, but that's where I'm running into problems...

Most of the sounds I have are in .wav or .mp3 format, so I convert them to AAC and then change the file-extension from '.m4a' to '.m4r', but when clicked they just open in iTunes, they don't get placed into the 'ringtones' section. None of them are more than 30 seconds long, so I thought maybe that was the problem. So, I looped the files for 30 seconds in Audacity and exported to MP3, then imported to iTunes, then converted to AAC, then changed the extension to .m4r (PHEW! this is becoming harder than i'd like....come on, Apple!) but still it didn't seem to show up under 'ringtones'.

I also spotted a simple program that does all the hard work for you, but it was Windows-only.... Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

2. crovian macrumors regular

before you change the file to .m4r:
    1) delete the song from itunes library but DON'T trash the file.
    2) locate the file via finder
    3) change to .m4r
    4) double click and when it opens, it'll be in ringtone library

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

4. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

the problem is that you're changing the acc copy to m4r. You have to make a copy of the m4a file and then change it to m4r. Then you put it in the ringtone library.

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ah cool, cheers guys, I'll give that a go and see how I get on!!