Issues with Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mooreclayton, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mooreclayton macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Early 2008 - OS X 10.7.3

I had Ubuntu 11.0 installed on my MacBook Pro and everything was running fine and was able to dual boot with rEFIt. I decided that I wanted to get rid of Ubuntu and install Windows 7, so I decided to Erase the partition that had Ubuntu installed.

After doing that both the Recovery HD and the EFI partitions started showing up on the desktop. Using Disk Utility I wanted to create a new partition to install Windows on. When I tried to create a partition I get an error saying MediaKit says there isn't enough space.

Now, when I boot to rEFIt I can get to my OS X Lion install, but I can't get to Linux (because the partition is gone), but I can't create a new partition. When I run diskutil list I get the following:

Code:
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *200.0 GB   disk0
       1:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            135.1 GB   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS                         0 B        disk0s2
       3:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s3
    Then if I use the Partition Inspector I get the following:

Code:
    *** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
     #      Start LBA      End LBA  Type
     1         409640    264280431  Mac OS X HFS+
     2      264542576    264542575  Mac OS X HFS+
     3      264542576    264952175  EFI System (FAT)

Current MBR partition table:
     # A    Start LBA      End LBA  Type
     1              1    390721967  ee  EFI Protective

MBR contents:
     Boot Code: GRUB

Partition at LBA 409640:
     Boot Code: None
     File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
     Listed in GPT as partition 1, type Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 264542576:
     Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
     File System: FAT32
     Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+
     Listed in GPT as partition 3, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 264542576:
     Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
     File System: FAT32
     Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+
     Listed in GPT as partition 3, type EFI System (FAT)
    Now, if I use Boot Camp Assistant I can repartition the Macintosh HD partition to create space for Windows, but that will leave me with ~60GB of space not being used.

I thought that if I booted off of the Windows 7 disk I would be able to create the partition needed to install Windows, but the installer errored out when choosing the Custom install.

Then I had the bright idea to boot off of the Lion disk and use Disk Utility, but I get the same thing.

So, thinking that maybe if I could make Macintosh HD take over the entire hard drive I would be able to repartition with Boot Camp I deleted the EFI and Recovery HD partitions. Now I have Only Macintosh HD and a bunch of free space afterwards that I can't do anything with.

I've been beating my head against a wall on this all day now and cannot come up with anything. Any ideas??

2. supermariofan25, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

You what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you delete the recovery and EFI partitions???

The EFI Partition is needed to boot and the Recovery Partition is needed for recovery, your mac is probably screwed now :eek:

EDIT: maybe not screwed but you wont be able to boot to Mac OS X I dont think, there is a way to fix this by holding option (alt) upon booting to get to the boot selection screen and then pressing and holding command R to start up the web restore to reinstall Mac OS X without the need for a working restore partition, just make shore to repartition your HDD