issues with external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squeeks, Dec 21, 2007.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

so with tiger when you plugged in an external monitor and it was set as the primary monitor OSX would move all of your windows over to it, Leopard DOSENT which is VERY annoying because i then have to drag all 10 windows to the other monitor to use it, is there an option somewhere to turn this on and off? why would apple do this?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Two solutions for you. First close the lid, then plugin power / external keyboard + mouse / monitor and wake the machine by pressing a key on the keyboard or mouse (do not open the lid). Depending on which Mac you have, this should cause it to operate in clamshell mode. It won't even turn on the internal display.

Another option is to plugin the external monitor, then navigate to System Preferences > Displays > the Arrangement tab and select mirror displays in the bottom left checkbox. The downside to this option is that your external monitor will be forced to run at the likely lower resolution of your internal display.

3. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

neither of those options are going to work...well i guess i could use solution #2 for now though, put it to sleep then plug in the external monitor, everything else is bluetooth, thats most likly what ill do until apple releases a patch to fix it, i cant believe they would want it this way on purpose:eek:

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I don't see a bug to be patched. Do you want to use screen spanning (extended desktop) or not? We've always had three options with Apple notebooks:

1) Use mirrored display for internal and external monitors.
    2) Use screen spanning to leverage screen real estate from both monitors.
    3) Operate using clamshell mode and use only the external monitor.

What is your perfect situation? Why won't solution 1 work?