Issues with fans and video glitching out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Seiken, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Seiken macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm in need of a little assistance.

I bought a mid 2010 15" MBP the week they were released and its been great up to this point but now I'm having two issues, possibly related.

First Issue:

Last night when I went to go play some WoW I noticed that the fan speed was not speeding up to match the load placed on the cpu/gpu. I honestly can't say if this is the first time its happened since I usually keep a window AC unit on in the background and can't hear things like a fan at 4-5k rpm. When I didn't hear the fans (in a quiet room without AC unit turned on) at the usual speed during a game I checked the iStat widget and saw the cpu was hovering between 100 and 103 degrees and the fans running at measly 2k rpm. After that I quit out of the game and let the computer idle for a few minutes then went then went and downloaded smcFanControl and manually set the fan speed to 5k and went about my business for the night checking the temperature periodically, never went over 83 degrees the rest of the night. Is there a reason that the fans rpm wasn't throttling dynamically based on load? Any good way to fix that?

Second Issue:

When I finished last night I shut the computer down all the way. This morning I booted the computer up on the battery and when it got to the log in screen the video started glitching on me quite a bit. The best way to describe the glitching is the picture would scramble in some areas. The duration and location of the glitching was all over the screen and appeared pretty random. I also noticed that this only happened when I was operating on the integrated video. If I switched to use the discrete card the glitching would stop and everything would look normal, switch back to the integrated and it would flake out again. After about 5 minutes or so idling at the desktop the glitching seemed to slow down to almost a complete stop. I still see the occasional random and short lived glitch but its been pretty uncommon since; only 2 or 3 times in the last 3/4 hours of only being on integrated video only.

Not sure if these two are related or not but given how close in time they were I got kinda spooked. Having to use smcFanControl every time I wanna do something cpu/graphic intensive is just flat out annoying but not something I would consider critical.

The one that worries me is the second issue. Could the video controller on the cpu die have gone bad from being too hot? Anyway to test that? Also, as far as I know the integrated video shares system ram so that could also be a weak link. Any good way to test that one too? I'm pretty good with computers in general just fairly new to Mac (first one).

Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks!!

2. Alleyoop macrumors member

Hey, I wonder if it the same issue that another poster and I are having with the screen scrambling. Check out the thread titled:
    'What is this? Graphic card problem?'
    by Hydrocity

It is on the first page right now.

The poster has some pictures posted of his screen when it did this. I tried posting some as well, but screen shots don't seem to work on this. I took a screenshot and reopened it and it looked a little different than what appeared when I took the shot. I opened the screenshots up a few minutes later, and they were completely black! The OP of the other thread said his screenshots didn't work either, so he had to take a real picture.

I'll try to describe how it looks. Some or all of the screen will get scrambled. It almost looks like it scrambles into multi colored squares-sometimes about 1/2". Other times into lines. Sometimes if I have 2 windows open, they will like melt into each other and turn into one window with parts of both the original windows in them. This often times has the scrambly squares on it.

It would be nice to know if your pictures looked similar to ours, and also if you can take a screenshot. I think I am going to take mine in to Apple, and if others are having the issue it would be good to know.

3. Alleyoop macrumors member

Ok, this is weird. After posting I went to youTube to see if it would happen again, now no youTube videos work! The screen is just black. I searched google to find other video sources and tried multiple places like moviewed.com, metacafe.com and a bunch of others. No videos worked. Either a blank black or white screen. I checked another computer in our house and youTube and everything else is working fine.

4. Seiken thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked the post you mentioned. The glitching I saw didn't really look like any of the examples posted in that thread. My glitching wasn't localized to any one area of activity like the safari top sites view or while viewing movies. It just randomly occurred on the desktop only lasting a moment before a new one would pop up and that one would fade away. Just checked youtube and it works fine for me.

It was really odd in the fact that it hasn't really happened since the first few minutes the computer has been on. Tried a few cold reboots to see if I could recreate the problem and come up dry.