Issues with Fans/CPU in Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachnelson, Jun 21, 2011.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

About a week ago I installed Lion Developer Preview 4. Since then, whenever I am just browsing the web, checking my email via Postbox or talking to someone on MSN, the fans will roar up for seemingly no reason.

When I open Activity Monitor, CPU idle is at about 80% with the kernel using about 16%, and after two refreshes idle goes up to ~98% and then the fans go down. When I close activity monitor, the fans start roaring back up in 20 minutes or so. If I leave activity monitor open, the fans do not roar back up.

What the heck is going on?

2. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought I should add, my laptop is currently running at around ~72 degrees Celsius.

3. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

That's strange. Mine is running fine at 40 degrees C. The fans at 3800rpm by my setting. Try SMCfancontrol.

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

The problem: you are using beta software.
    The solution: stop using beta software.

Honestly, it's pre-release code and I think you know better. Complain about this problem when the code is final and it's been released to the public. Until then, know that Lion is going to have bugs and you're going to have to deal with them or use Snow Leopard.

That and, it's very likely that apps haven't been updated for Lion yet and easily cause the problems you are having.