Issues with Firefox on mid15 MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bernardolima, Aug 15, 2015.

1. bernardolima macrumors newbie

bernardolima

A few weeks ago I bought a brand new mid 2015 15" Macbook pro. The high end version with the amd card.
    It came with a dent on the back. It was almost unnoticeable and one could say it was more cosmetic than anything else. I used the laptop for a few days and I was a bit surprised with the performance. I thought the laptop was gonna be much faster (my previous laptop was a 2013 macbook pro).

Also, I was getting at most 3 or 4 hours of battery though that could have been due to me using firefox instead of safari and having the screen at 100% brightness.

But even worse, was firefox performance. The performance was fine in the first couple of hours of use every day, but after a few hours, usually around night time, it would always get incredibly laggy and buggy. While using firefox, I could not go more than 20 seconds without getting the spinning beach ball of death.

Ultimately, I decided to return the computer due to all these issues though I spoke only of the dent as my reason when speaking to Apple.

They sent me another Macbook pro. Believe or not it came with the exact same dent on the exact same place.
    I am 99 % sure it's not the same laptop though

However the battery is behaving the exact same way.
    And so is Firefox.
    And I'm left wondering what the hell is going on.
    As I'm writing this message, I can't write more than 5 words without getting the spinning beach ball.
    Should I return this macbook pro as well?

Is slowish and laggish performance on firefox a common issue among mid 2015 macbook pros?

Help me please.

2. bernardolima thread starter macrumors newbie

bernardolima

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I would take it back to the store and have them open another MacBook Pro in front of you to inspect. Don't accept anything that you feel is not right. I have not ever received a new Apple computer with any dents or scratches. If I did I would take it back and get one that is in brand new condition. You paid for new and you should get new condition.

Safari will run far faster on Yosemite. I have tried FireFox and it is slow.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just so I understand - you returned one MBPro because of a dent on the bottom. Then received a second one with a dent, again in about the same location?
    What did Apple tell you when you called them to ask about that?
    You will be getting this one replaced too, correct?

What other apps have you added, in addition to Firefox? Just asking, but you do have the most recent version 40, correct?
    The only version of Firefox that I use (infrequently) is the developer version. Don't know if that is something that you have tried, but it's quite different from the stock version.
    Not that I care for Firefox, but I hear that Mozilla has been working recently to try to improve the speed, but maybe you knew that already... Could be that's still a "work-in-progress"

You didn't mention how Safari works for you, particularly on a new system, where Apple claims much better performance.

5. bernardolima thread starter macrumors newbie

bernardolima

The thing is I bought it trough the online store, specifically the education section of the online store and I got a pretty big discount because of that. So, even if I call Apple Support, they're just gonna send me a new one, I can't get it at the store. Not if I want the discount at least.

And as slow as firefox might be under yosemite, it's one thing for it to be slow, it's another to get the spinning beach ball every 5 or 10 seconds.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Send an e-mail to the on-line store and explain the situation. They are very accommodating and will try to satisfy the situation. They might even allow you to have a MacBook Pro shipped to the store for you to look at when it arrives. If it were me, I would ask for that since you have received 2 computers with dents in them.

Did you try using Safari?

7. bernardolima thread starter macrumors newbie

bernardolima

Yes, this MBP has a dent on the exact same location. As I said, it's a cosmetic defect. It's not a really noticeable dent. But I do find it ridiculous that a laptop this expensive comes with a small imperfection. Twice.

I'm running Firefox 40.0.2

I have no idea about Safari´s performance because I don't really use Safari. But other apps like VLC and Davinci Resolve seem to work fine.

When I called, they didn't give any reason as to why the dent was there, they just issued a small refund and replaced the laptop.

8. DeltaMac, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Call AppleCare about your issue. You may be offered to opportunity to go to a store (particularly if it is convenient to you, and you ask about it.)

Maybe it's Firefox add-ons that you have, that need to be updated for Yosemite.
    Firefox, at least on a Mac, is not the browser that it once was. I haven't used it regularly for several years now.

9. bernardolima thread starter macrumors newbie

bernardolima

When I ordered the first MBP, I asked if they could ship it to a physical store so that I could then pick it up and they said they couldn't. Which might be cause there are no official apple stores in my city, only resellers, I think.

10. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

As DeltaMac suggested call AppleCare an explain the situation. Ask to speak with senior level advisor as they have authority to get things done. If you plead inconvenience nicely they will probably give you some sort of inconvience gift.

11. bernardolima thread starter macrumors newbie

bernardolima

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably do that. The whole situation just sucks.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Not U.S. - I'm guessing?
    Other countries may not have those options to ship, especially to a reseller. And, I suspect that you can't have Apple ship to a reseller in the U.S. either. How far are you from an official Apple Store, anyway?

You might even go to a reseller, and look at the bottom of display models. You might find out that's a common cosmetic issue (I have not looked for that before)

13. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I have not seen any dents in any of the Apple computers that I have ever bought, from a retail store or the on-line store. I make sure I look over the computers very carefully. I have read about people experiencing that situation on occasion.

14. bernardolima thread starter macrumors newbie

bernardolima

Portugal.

I think there's a store in Lisbon which is 2 or 3 hours from where I am.

15. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Good luck and I hope that you get the situation resolved to your satisfaction.

16. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

AFAIK, no Apple-owned store in Portugal yet. Closest for you would be Spain or France, I suppose, and not so much help direct from Apple.

17. idyll macrumors 6502

I can't believe it - I purchased a brand new MacBook Pro 15" from Best Buy and it has a dent on the very bottom near the rubber foot.

The dent is where the charger rests underneath, so I am thinking it must occur from pressure being put on the laptop or it being thrown around during transport. Very bad packaging design by Apple to put the laptop right next to the charger with nothing in between.

Since you've gone through two brand new laptops with the same problem, I'm a bit worried about exchanging mine and getting the same problem. Called Apple and they said I must take it back to Best Buy since I purchased it there.