Issues with Gaming and then some questions about protection!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by B1rdman, Aug 29, 2008.

1. B1rdman macrumors newbie

Hello. I just got my macbook pro a few days ago, and even though I told myself I wasn't going to game on it when I bought it, a few friends of mine convinced me to try out warcraft III on it when we had a LAN party (running though OSX) and I had a few issues:

1. Is there any way in OSX to switch between the game screen and the home screen? Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm basically looking for the Mac alternative to the windows key I used in windows to switch between game and chatting/websurfing, etc.

2. I had an issue where when I clicked the quit button the computer would freeze up to the point that I would have to restart the computer. Happened everytime I tried to quit.

If anyone can help em clear up these issues, that'd be great, if not, I'm probably gonna end up removing WC3 anyways since I'm not planning on using this comp as a gaming machine anyways. thanks!

**Oh, and while I've got you here, I was thinking of getting some protection for my macbook pro. zi've heard it's important to get a cloth to protect the screen from teh keyboard and some kind of casing for the exterior. So yeah, what do you guys use to protect your cases? I was thinking of getting a Speck shell and some sort of microfiber cloth to stick in between the keyboard and the screen.

Also, Bluetooth or USB-Wireless for a notebook mouse? deciding between logitech nano vx and the razer pro BT model.

thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your responses.

2. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

i have your perfect solutions.

theres two ways i know to handle the situation.

the first one is to hold the option[alt] button down when starting the game, and choose windowed mode.

the second is to hit apple + m while in game, putting it in windowed mode.

as for the crashing while exiting, that is very common. make sure to exit while in windowed mode every time.

as for the mouse ordeal, get a wired mouse. much better.

3. B1rdman thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks! I'll have to check those methods out! i'll let you know how it goes!

As for the mouse, perhaps I didn't explain my situation well enough. I'm heading to college so I'm looking for a very portable mouse to carry around with me, so I'm thinking a wired mouse is too much. I already have a nice wired mouse anyways, but thanks anyways!

anyone have any advice on protecting my macbook pro?

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

5. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

i say get a hardshell case. like the incase hardshell case. i would suggest a neoprene sleeve, but they tend to rip easily. a hardshell case protects it from most of the scratches bumps and what not that tend to happen. i have one for my macbook and it works fine! it also depends on preference. no matter what you choose, i think incase is a great brand.

6. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

since it's a macbook pro and its quite a bit of money, keep it in a bag, not a case. well i mean, if you can get the case sure, but get a bag, thats top priority.

there are some very nice wired mouse's lemme link you.

Mouse

Case