Issues with Half-Life 2 and Vista64

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NewSc2, Nov 27, 2008.

1. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I have Boot Camp/Vista 64-bit on my mac pro, and for the most part everything works fine. I've been doing some music production work with Ableton Live and Reason, and I haven't really run into many issues.

I've been having problems running Half-Life 2, though. I downloaded Steam, and I can run the old Half-Life with no hiccups, but every time I start up Half Life 2, I see a flash of the intro wallpaper screen and then blackness, and it'll quit and I'll see the Vista desktop again.

I bought Half Life 2 Orange Box to see if that would clear anything up, but Ep 1 and Ep 2 won't load either.

Googling this issue came up with a few responses, including running Half-Life 2 under "Administrator", but I haven't found that option under Steam. I'm logged into Vista as an Administrator.

Also, I haven't been able to get my Aluminum Bluetooth Keyboard to work. It's a minor issue (I'm using the full-length one right now), but I have the latest Boot Camp drivers and Vista still won't find the bluetooth keyboard. Vista has found my MBP under Bluetooth, though, and the keyboard works fine under OSX.

EDIT: All this is making me consider downgrading to my old WinXP. Would I have better luck there?

2. Mixu macrumors newbie

Disable 64-bit extensions in Half Life 2

I had also problems with starting up Half-life 2 in Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. After digging around Steam Forums, and making couple of experiments (starting Episode 1 and 2 successfully and failing to start HL2 and HL2:Lost Coast) I realised that it was the 64-bit extensions that were causing problems (Episode 1 and 2 don't use them by default but Lost Coast and Half Life 2 do).

BTW, I have understood this is not a Mac specific problem, there are issues with Source engine's 64-bit support with other manufacturers PCs also. (Drivers etc.). When 64-bit drivers mature, Half Life 2 might work 64-bit enabled in the future.

To solve issues, just disable 64-bit extensions. Game works just fine in 32-bit mode even if you use Vista 64-bit.

Use launch option "-32bit" (without quotes)

From Steam support pages:

For more launch options see this.

P.S. "-novid" is one of my favorites, disables Valve videos before startup, speeds up booting the game.

3. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, that totally worked. Thanks! It was bugging me forever -- I was dreading backing everything up and downgrading back to XP.

4. Mixu macrumors newbie

Good, I'm glad that it helped. I dreaded that my suggestion wouldn't help, since I didn't notice this:

Just curious, are those games working now?