Issues with Home Button

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by er2429, Apr 19, 2012.

1. er2429 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I wanted to reach out to the forums to see if other people are having the same problem as me.

About 6 months ago, my home button stopped working intermittently. I brought it into the Apple Store where they verified the issue was happening and not a software issue. The Apple genius used various tests including force closing all my apps (Daring Fireball anyone?). And essentially, proved it was a hardware issue. They wanted me to pay $200 to replace the entire phone. I declined and decided to live with it. Since then, it's now gotten to the point where I can only use the home button if I push the left side of the button with a great deal of force. I've also had several friends with the same issue, and I'm now starting to get very frustrated with Apple.

So, question to the forums? What is the state of your home button? Have you had any issues let me know.

2. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Go back to the apple store..back up your phone first..restore it at the apple store and show the smart bar guy that still doing this and it's not software issues..I had a power/sleep button go bad on me and got it replaced no paying 200$

As for my home button still working like new..well I am jailbroken and I don't really push the home button much do to tweaks :D

3. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

How old is your phone?
    It's a common issue, the home button simply wears out after a couple years cause it's used so much. If your phone is out of warranty or apple care anyway, and you still want to keep the phone, you might want to just take it somewhere and replace the button.

Another story I have heard is that gunk builds up from your finger underneath the button. I had a guy show me that by flicking his finger at the button and thus tapping the button with his nail 30-40 times that it helps shake the gunk off and that helps. Sounds counterintuitive to me, but if your button is already busted I guess it couldn't hurt to try.