Issues with Home Folder on Separate Partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gamoe, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Gamoe macrumors regular

I have the system and my home folder on separate partions- a "system" and a "user" drive. I have been trying out this setup for a few weeks now. I hadn't had a problem until today. I booted the iMac, logged in and was presented with a "default" account instead of my own, even though it claimed to be my account. Keep in mind that my home folder is on the same physical drive, only on a separate partition, so I would think there would be no significant delay in accessing the home folder.

I checked to see if my true home folder and its partition was still there. It was. I checked to see if the system had created a new default home folder for me on either partition. It hadn't. I checked to see if the path was correct for the home folder in Users and Groups. It was. I rebooted. Same thing. I figure I would try everything and I went back to the preference pane.

Even though the path was correct, I clicked on the "Choose..." button to the right of the Home Directory path and again chose my home folder. It was the same exact path, but it added a space and a "1" after the volume name. I rebooted and everything was back to normal. Does anyone have any idea why the system felt the need to rename the drive (though it still shows up as its original name in the Finder)? It seems there are certain glitches to contend with in this setup.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny