HomePod Issues With HomePods Not Appearing While Away

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by ghsNick, May 30, 2018.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

For example - when I’m at home I can see all my HomePods (to send music to from my phone).

When I’m at work and look at my devices the HomePods aren’t available to stream music to.

Here’s an example of what I’m referring to. This is when I’m at work (they don’t appear). When I’m at home they appear.

I’s it normal for your HomePods to not appear (using Airplay) when you’re not at home? Or do they only appear at home.

Thanks!

2. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

You must be connected to the same network as the HomePod in order to play music to it using Airplay.

3. ghsNick, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

For example...now that I’m home I can see all my devices. Image attached.

When I’m away from home, they disappear. I thought it was possible to command music to a HomePod (or at least see them)...even it I wasn’t home.

Am I mistaken?

Attached Files:

4. ghsNick, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I see post number two.

What I’m saying is that I recall (before 11.4) that I could still see my HomePods when I was away from home...was I mistaken?

I was under the assumption I could play music to my HomePod (even if I’m away from Home) since the HomePod is directly connected to WiFi.

So I could have music play to it (direct from its WiFi connection) instead of AirPlaying it...even if I’m not home.

5. chabig macrumors 603

I don’t think I saw them in the Airplay controls before. The HomePod does show up in the Home app, where you can choose play and pause. But to stream to it, you do need to be on the same network.

6. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

If you go into the Home app, you can tap on the HomePod icon and you can play or pause it, but you can't send it commands remotely. At least that I know of.