Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
CT
Anyone been having issues with Illustrator just closing itself? Every time it gets even a little bogged down, it just closes itself. It doesn't seem to be my laptop because the iMac's as school do it as well. I simply go to move some text with the arrow keys, and after about 10 or so hits (within maybe 3-5 seconds) it just closes.

Anyone else having this issue with Illustrator?

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
I don't have that particular issue, but there are a lot of little issues. For example I'd finish typing something with the type tool and select the selection tool, and it will say I'm on the selection tool but continue to do the text tool's duties.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
CT
Nothing where it just closes itself out though?

I am just trying to see if anyone else is having the same problem as me. I have 8GB of RAM, about 5.xx free when it closes down on me. I am at a total loss.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I assume we're talking CS5... if so, then I have to say that Illustrator is the only app in the CS5 suite that I've had any crashes with at all, so far. Only a couple whilst applying effects to objects, and I've just allowed the crash reports to go to Adobe and hoped that a point release will fix the bugs. But nothing like the extent of the problems the OP has described, and not whilst nudging text.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
CT
Yes CS5, wow can't believe I left that out! haha

Ya all the others in Design Standard seem to be just fine. I thought it might have been because of the recent RAM upgrade to 8GB... but the ones at my college only have 4GB so I ruled that one out. Who knows, I saw one update for it so I installed that asap.

Has anyone either have the install file for Adobe Auto Updater? Or know where I can get it? I no longer have it on my computer... and unlike most, I really like having it on here.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
CT
Ya its not on my disk for some reason? It use to be on my computer... now its just gone (before I re-installed it).

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
You're not alone CW I get the same thing from time to time but then I've been using Illustrator since version 5 and it's always been a temperamental beast!

Just remember to keep saving as you go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.